Monday, April 15, 2013

It's going to be a "best ever me" kind of day!


It's tax day and I'm feeling calm and happy. Did I finish them early? Am I getting a refund? Neither. I'm filing an extension and paying. The thing is, since my mom's death three months ago, I've been dealing with the stress of grief. Not fun. Some days, it was all I could do to get out of bed, much less sit in my office and meet deadlines. 

I decided early on that I would be kind to myself and go through this grief process as needed. Sure I had to work. But I didn't take on projects I wouldn't enjoy, I didn't blog every day, as was my custom, and... I didn't stress over taxes. With an extension, I have until Oct. 15th to file, as long as I pay the IRS today. 

I finally pulled out my tax info on Saturday and spent about six hours working on it. Then yesterday, even though it was the Sabbath, I worked on it for a few hours more. I needed to see where we were with what we owed, since things are different this year since my husband retired in May. The good news is, we owe much less than last year. 

Last night was date night for Bill and me. Any other year, date night on April 14th would have been unthinkable. Instead, it was a marvelously relaxing and fun night. We stayed out until after one a.m. and, although a bit groggy this morning, I'm already benefiting from a night out with one of my favorite people in the world. 

Now, it's time to focus on getting that extension filed and paying the country and state the taxes owed. Then it's on to working on a children's book that is due at the end of the week, as well as starting the edits on a book of Lent Reflections I'm doing for a priest I worked with a couple of years ago. It was my favorite project, and I'm thrilled to be doing it again. Happy work. Yea me!

From 1:00-2:00 today, I'll be on blog talk radio being interview by Elizabeth Hamilton-Guarino on The Best Ever You show. Since this is blog talk radio, you'll be able to listen in! You'll even be able to phone in with your questions. So, if there is anything you'd like to ask Green Grandma, tune in and call!

I feel honored to be a guest on a show that features some pretty impressive people, including recent guests, Dr. Lisa Christiansen, Ed Asner and Eric Braeden. So grab a cup of tea or coffee, get comfy and tune in at 1:00 p.m. as I chat with Elizabeth about vinegar and writing and my grandchildren and who knows what else! I have no idea what Elizabeth has in store for me today, so you just might catch me fumbling for words!

Happy tax day!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog