It's 6 a.m. and still dark here in Pittsburgh. I woke up with something on my mind, so I got up, plugged in the coffee maker, grabbed my laptop, and started to type. It's been awhile since I've checked in with you, so, hello. I hope you're well. I've missed you. But do me a favor before you read on. Go into your kitchen and make sure you've unplugged your air fryer. And your slow cooker (remember that THIS IS US episode? And any other unused small appliance.
Done? Phew. Okay. I can stop worrying now.
You see, I watched a news report the other day about an air fryer that started on fire while a man was in the living room watching TV. He heard a loud pop and saw smoke coming from the kitchen. His air fryer was on fire. He quickly woke his son and called 911.
Earlier this month, another area fire company was called to a house fire caused by . . . you guessed it . . . another air fryer. The thing is, neither one was in use at the time they started on fire, but, they were plugged in. Now, I don't own an air fryer, but my daughters do, so do you know what the first thing I did was after I saw the news report? I texted my girls, of course, and told them to unplug their air fryers. And I'm asking you to do the same thing.
Years ago, when I started my Vinegar Friday posts, a young mom read about the toxins in bathroom cleaners, so she switched over to vinegar. She later sent me a message letting me know I'd saved her daughter's life. Courtney had gone into the bathroom to discover the young girl sitting on the floor with the bottle of vinegar. She'd unscrewed the top and was sucking on it. Imagine if that had been your standard bottle of toxic bathroom cleaner!
I've often thought of that story because it reminds that what I write matters. And that,, my friends, is why I got up at six this morning to spend time with you.
The fire chief in the above mentioned news story said it is not uncommon for these types of fires to happen. I remember sitting at the kitchen table with my parents when I was a child back in the '60s and our toaster started on fire. It was on the counter and, like the air fryers, was plugged in, but not in use. Ever since then, I've been vigilant about keeping my toaster unplugged.
Of course, it's not just the kitchen appliances we have to worry about. How often have you left your hair dryer, straightener, or curling iron plugged in and left the house? Never? Good for you. That's what I want to hear. Anything that heats up is a potential fire hazard.
One final warning, even I needed to hear this morning as I did a little research. Watch where you place your phones and other devices when you're charging them. They need to be on hard surfaces. Which means keeping them off the couch or bed while plugged in. According to numerous fire officials, it is not uncommon for a device to overheat while charging and start a soft surface like a mattress or pillow on fire. This tip is especially important to share with your kids, especially your phone-obsessed teens. Seriously, folks. Please have "the talk" with them. Fire safety is no joke. Actually, anything that would get me up this early in the morning has to have some weight to it!
Now it's time for me to pop some sour dough bread in the toaster. But first, I'll have to plug it in.
Keeping it safe,