Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thursday's Truths and Tidbits

For many of us, spring arrived early this year, with warmer than normal temps. I was surprised to discover that this March is only the 7th warmest since records started being kept back in the 1800s. Does that surprise you? I would have guessed this to be the warmest ever. It's all part of the earth's cycles. Who knows what next year will be like. I just hope the 80 degree temps on the first day of spring in Western Pennsylvania is no indication of what the summer is going to be like. I don't like heat. Period.

My grandson's diapers hanging on my daughter's clothesline


What I do like is the smell of sheets fresh off the line. Have you tried it lately? If not, what's stopping you? The advantages to line drying are countless.
  • Economical. Just think about how much lower your energy costs will be if you cut back on how many loads of laundry you dry in your gas or electric dryer! Electric dryers are often the highest costing appliance to run in your home. They simply suck up a whole lot of electricity.
  • Environmental. Want to limit your carbon footprint? Hang your laundry on a clothesline and let the wind and sun dry it. 
  •  Easier on your clothes. Tossing your clothing in a heat-producing dryer can have detrimental effects on your clothes, especially delicate items like bras, underwear and swimsuits. If you don't line dry anything else, you should at least hang your delicates on a line, in or outside of your home. Your undergarments and swimwear will last so much longer when their treated right! Cold water and line drying. I've had the same underwear for over a decade now! Granted, I paid high prices for it, but it's held up nicely.
  • Eliminates static. Really ... it does.
 I simply love to line dry my laundry and encourage you to give it a try. Is it more work? Of course. Is it worth it? Absolutely.

And that's all I have to say on this Thursday's Truths and Tidbits. The truth is: line drying is best on many counts. That's why I shared these little tidbits that, in the end, just might save you a fair bit of change!

Keeping it green on the line,

Hana

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE line-drying my clothes and washed-out bags. It makes me feel so cheerful hanging diapers up or even just sitting on the deck, looking at the clothes all lined up. It's part of Spring. It reminds me that the winter is over. I don't even think of it as work...line-drying to me is more of a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog