Monday, January 27, 2014

Do you know what day it is?



This unique Holocaust memorial, located in Budapest, visualizes the shooting of thousands of Jews directly into the Danube. Photo in public domain 
This unique Holocaust memorial, located in Budapest, visualizes the shooting of thousands of Jews directly into the Danube. Photo in public domain - See more at: http://www.readthespirit.com/religious-holidays-festivals/international-observance-holocaust-remembrance-day/#sthash.gZ3A1jAM.dpuf


Today is International Holocaust Remembrance Day. Were you aware of that? How many Facebook posts did you read about it? How many news stories? Did it trump news about Justin Bieber's arrest last week?

Sometimes our society's focus on celebrities (mishaps or otherwise) frustrates me. I, for one, am tired of hearing about Justin Bieber, Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus, and any of the Kardashian family. I mean, seriously.

But shame on me if I ever tire of hearing about the injustice done at the hands of the Nazis. I mean, seriously.

My concern today, however, is about the upcoming generation. Where will their focus be? As they are continually bombarded with electronic "brain noise," I can't help wondering how bored they will be when exposed to the brutal reality of history. Will they find it irrelevant? Will they simply dismiss it as boring? That, my friends, will be a tragedy. And it's up to you, as parents, to make sure it doesn't happen. Do your kids hear more about celebrities than they do about real people... real heroes who died... real servants of mankind... real people with real bodies and real missions and real stories? It starts at home, my friends. 

Maybe today is the very day to start teaching your kids about things that matter. What better way to remember the horrors of the Holocaust. History can only repeat itself when people no longer study the past.

Caring about our children,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog