Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas on the Sabbath

Christmas tree at Phipp's Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Yesterday was pretty much a typical Sabbath for me. It started with attending church with the family. After church, however, our daughters and their families headed off in different directions to celebrate Christmas with their in-laws, and Bill and I were on our own. It was a lovely, quiet day. Movies, music, games, and a wonderful dinner of bacon-wrapped filet mignon (thanks to a generous Omaha Steaks gift from my mother), snowpeas with brown butter and mushrooms. Oh, and presents. Bill and I opened our presents late in the afternoon yesterday while sitting on the opened sofabed in our family room, where we've been sleeping in front of the lit Christmas tree for the last 3 nights.

It was a relaxing Sabbath.

Today, the craziness begins! At 1:00, the kids and grandkids will descend on us, with arms full of presents. There will be food, drink, gift exchange and merriment throughout the afternoon and evening. And since we're doing this the day after Christmas, no one will have to leave early or come late as they don't have to visit with the other families today. That's the perk. We've done it this way for the past 3 years and it has worked well for us. But that's because Christmas has fallen on the weekends. Next year it's on a Tuesday, and many will have to work on Wednesday, so I don't know what will happen. I guess we'll deal with that next year. For now, I plan to enjoy my day with my family ... my wonderful, wonderful family.

Sharing my Sabbath experience and my holiday with you,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog