Monday, October 10, 2011

Time spent in bed on an Indian summer afternoon

The Sabbath Experience -- week 55





I love Sundays. They give me permission to rest. What I don't like is still feeling lousy. 

After church yesterday, my husband, two daughters and the grandbabies all went out to lunch. Afterwards, the girls took the the kids to a farm for pumpkins. It was an absolutely beautiful Indian summer kind of day. Originally, they planned to go to a place in Wexford, PA that has lots of fun kids' activities going on. But, not surprisingly, the place was packed. They ended up down the road a bit instead, which suited the children just fine.






When I looked at the pictures, I regretted my sorry state of health even more. What did I do instead of having fun with the grandkids? I slept. For 3 1/2 hours! Granted, I obviously needed the sleep, but I was mad at myself the rest of the evening. It seemed like such a waste of time.

Do you ever feel like that? Like resting is a waste of time?

I can't help thinking God is trying to slow me down a bit. After all, last week was really busy. Being sick didn't keep me from hosting a Norwex party on Tuesday night, hosting a radio show on Wednesday night, or hosting our Home Group Bible Study at my home on Thursday night. By Friday, I was beat. And I had to watch Laura on Friday starting at 8:30 a.m. Of course, I was tired.

Today is my last day on the Cipro. This kidney infection really knocked me for a loop, yet I didn't allow myself the time to slow down much. Thus, the long nap on Sunday afternoon.

We enjoyed a late dinner on the patio last night, watching a bit of TV and playing a couple games of Bananagrams. That's the part I love about Sundays. Spending the evenings away from my office just enjoying the company of my best friend. The Sabbath Experiment granted us that luxury over a year ago and we're still enjoying it and benefitting from it.

When was the last time you took a day just to rest and recreate? The Sabbath. What a blessing. What a gift.

Keeping it restful (sometimes out of necessity),

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog