Thursday, October 20, 2011

It's time to quiet that cough ... naturally

Computers! Can't live with them. Can't live without them. I missed posting my Review It Wednesday this week, because for most of the last 2 days, I could not log on to my blog. How frustrating. For those of you who were concerned about me because I simply don't skip days, thank you. I appreciate your concern, calls, texts and emails : )

This is a new day and we'll just move on as if nothing happened. Okay?

As I continue to work on getting my book in print, I hired someone to design the cover for me and yesterday she emailed the proof to me. I love it! I'm too excited to wait until the book is done to share it with you. So here it is:


Book cover design by Heather Desuta

In light of this, I thought it would be a good day to write about vinegar! Yesterday on the GG FB page, a mom asked about a vinegar remedy for her 2-year-old's cold. Here's the advice I gave Jenn and I'm passing on to any of you who have a little one with a cough or cold:

Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar, 1 part honey and 2 parts water. Give a tablespoon (or a couple teaspoons for small mouths) every two hours or so. Before putting your child to bed for a nap or at night, sprinkle a little bit of ACV on the pillow or sheet. No, it doesn't smell particularly wonderful, but hey, if it quiets the cough and opens up the nasal passages naturally, it's worth it. Especially if your little one doesn't seem to mind.

I just came across that last bit of advice and am thinking about trying it myself the next time I'm at bit stuffed up. Bill should love that!

Last I heard, little Joannie was feeling better after just a couple of doses.

Warning! Do not give this formula to babies under 1-year-old!! Honey should never be given to infants due to the possibility of botulism.

Here is a link to another post I did 2 years ago about helping your kids through cough and cold season.

Wishing you all a wonderful day with hopes of a quiet night's sleep,

Hana

1 comment:

  1. Update on Joannie - She still has a cough but isn't coughing every 5-10 min. with a mucous/saliva spray. It may not smell the best, but it does taste very good. Put it this way, if I can get my 2-year old who won't eat meat to take it. I see no reason why others shouldn't try it. I make a concoction of ACV, Lemon, honey, and warm water for sore throats and it works amazing. I also grew up taking Chamomile tea, Honey, ACV, and a squeeze of lemon for the flu which always worked better than Thera-flu. Not everything that smells or taste good is good for you, but my general rule of thumb is if it's natural and it works it's better than the alternative. Plus there are no children cold/flu care items beside Tylenol and Ibiprophen for children.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog