Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review It Wednesday -- is that citrus I smell?

"Take a whiff of my arm pit ... go ahead. What do you smell?"

My husband hesitantly complied. "Fruit."

"Yep, it's citrus."

"What happened to the crystal you were using?"

Well, that question started a whole new conversation.

Awhile back, I reviewed Crystal deodorant, giving it a green thumbs up. As a matter of fact, it even made my Top 10 List back in June! And, as far as working as a deodorant, it still ranks up there. However, somewhere along the line of using it, I developed a yeast infection under my left arm, which then spread to my right arm pit, undoubtedly via the Crystal. Not fun. I had to resort to using Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm under my arms every day. But once it cleared up and I started using the Crystal again, the rash returned. So I had to find an alternative. 

That's when I discovered Weleda Citrus Deodorant in a glass spray bottle. I love this stuff! I bought it at the natural foods store in Berkeley Springs, WV back in August and have been using it daily ever since. And I've been a citrusly-happy and unstinky person ever since. Plus, the yeast infection is gone.

Since I can't explain it any better, here's what the Weleda website says about the Citrus Deodorant:


."Residual odor from naturally detoxified skin gets neutralized and freshened with this zesty deodorant. It’s an effective, non-aerosol spray that invigorates and refreshes as it eliminates the sources of unpleasant body odor.


Lemon peel oil has invigorating properties and also serves as a purifying disinfectant. With no risky antiperspirants such as aluminum salts, your body’s natural detoxification process is supported while bacteria that cause unpleasant odors are neutralized. You’re left smelling fresh and feeling the citrus-induced invigoration of Biodynamic® lemon peel oil. Spray whenever you need a purifying burst of full-body aromatherapy to freshen your entire being throughout the day."
Like I said, I love this stuff! I love the way it makes me feel, I love the invigorating scent, and I love that it comes in a glass bottle! Of course, I have to be extra careful to not drop it on the ceramic tile floor, but it's worth the risk not to have yet another product packaged in plastic!

If you're not a fan of citrus-scented products, you're in luck because Weleda's spray deodorants come in Sage and Wild Rose as well.

From browsing through the company's website, I have to admit, I like what I see. Weleda is celebrating 90 years of sustainability, which is something worthy of a shout out! Plus, they have a passionate commitment to fair trade.

Whether you opt for Crystal Deodorant, Weleda's deodorants, baking soda, vinegar or some other natural deodorant, the important thing is to avoid the commercial toxin-packed deodorants and antiperspirants on the market. Basically, I think you should skip antiperspirants altogether.

Why?

Because they block the body's natural process of sweating. Sweating is important because it rids the body of toxins. Do you really want to block toxins in an area of your body that is so prone to cancer? I sure don't.

Of course, not everything works for every body. So if BO's a problem for you, here are some suggestions, with links:
  1. Weleda's natural deodorants
  2. Crystal Deodorant
  3. Baking Soda (use a powder puff to make application easier)
  4. Vinegar
Give one or more of these a try and I'm sure you'll be sweet-smelling in no time.

If you have any more tips on warding off the body odor, please let me know. I'm always up for trying something new, although I have to admit, for now, I'm completely sold on Weleda's Citrus Deodorant!

Reviewing it for you,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog