Monday, June 8, 2015

What's for lunch? How about some organic hummus?

Disclosure: I received products and/or compensation in exchange for this post.

 

I love a challenge, don't you? Well, Wild Oats challenged me to come up with a recipe with some of the products they sent to me. I already had some organic purple carrots and organic cucumbers, so I decided to make hummus for lunch. 

 
Starting with the above 3 ingredients, I added a few more, tossed them in the blender, and here's what I ended up with.




When I started putting together my ingredients, I realized I was missing a couple. Staples like tahini and/or cumin were not in my cupboard or spice rack. Uh oh. So I decided to compromise. And let me tell you, the result was delicious. Here's the recipe:
  • One can organic garbanzo beans 
  • 3 TBSP organic extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/8 tsp organic garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 TBSP organic paprika
  • 1 tsp finely ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp finely ground Himalayan salt
  • 1 TBSP organic almond butter
Drain the garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid. Pinch off the shells from the beans. I know it's a bit time-consuming, but you just won't get the right consistency if you don't do this. If you have small children, this is a perfect chore for them to do. Just make sure they wash their hands well first!

Toss all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend. Add some of the liquid from the garbanzo beans until you get the desired consistency for your taste.

Serve with pita and fresh veggies and enjoy!


To make it a simply perfect lunch, I added a bowl of organic strawberries from Freedom Farms


Wild Oats makes it easy to 'play' with food and create delicious meals and snacks. Why not check out their supply of affordable organics at your local Walmart, come up with a yummy recipe, and post a picture on Instagram for them to see? Make sure you follow Wild Oats and tag them. Of course, folks are always looking for new recipes on Pinterest, so why not share it on there, too. Have fun with it.

Oh, and be sure to join us for a Twitter party on Wednesday, June 10 from 7-8 p.m. EST. Wild Oats, Bison Dave, Organic Trade, and Organic Center will be discussing hot topics like non-GMOs (you know I'll be all over that one), organic farming, organic meal planning, and how to make organic foods more affordable and accessible to everyone. Three lucky participants will each win a $50 gift certificate to Walmart, which can really kickstart your affordable organic meal planning! Use the hashtag #AffordableOrganics and join the party!

Hope to see you there!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog