Monday, March 16, 2015

The other side of Green Grandma


For those of you who don't know me beyond Green Grandma, I thought it would be good to let you know about the other side of my life. I have a company called Speechless that specializes in writing, editing, and voice-overs. You may be familiar with my voice if your children have that iStorybooks app, because I am the voice of Maya Ray. iStorybooks has both free and premium books, many of which I've written. I highly recommend them for your little ones, although I don't believe anything electronic should take precedence over a parent/grandparent/caretaker actually reading to a child. But if you'd like to check out Green Grandma as Maya Ray, click here and download an iBook or two.

As an author for iStorybooks, I've written over 60 children's books and am working on more in the popular Lincoln and Laura series (based on the adventures of two cousins based on my oldest grandchildren). We're introducing a new environmental series soon, called Our Planet, Our Earth and I'll be keeping you updated on that in the near future. 

My writing and narrations go beyond the children's arena. I've had eight stories published in the Chicken Soup for the Soul (CSS) anthologies, as well other stories in other publications. I also edited one of the anthologies for CSS in 2007. Now I teach others how to craft their stories to fit the CSS formula. Which leads me to the next part of this post -- the workshops and courses I teach.

If you are a writer in the Pittsburgh area, you might like to join Writers at Work, a monthly writing group I lead at Northland Library in McCandless Twp. We meet on the second Monday of every month from 6:30 - 9:00 p.m. Contact me if you'd like more information.

I'll also be on the faculty for some upcoming conferences. If you are in any of these areas, or are willing to travel, I highly recommend each one of these.



March 28th --Writers Project Runway in Leesburg, VA

April 25th -- Writing Success XXIV in Stoneboro, PA

May 15-17 -- Building Bridges Annual Pennwriters Conference in Pittsburgh, PA 

Also, if you would like me to come speak at an event or conference, please contact me.

And, of course, if you're looking for a copywriter, editor, or voice-over talent, check out my website.

Hope you don't mind my little bit of self-promotion. Just thought some of you might have some interest. If you do show up at any of the conferences, please make sure you introduce yourself.

Hana





3 comments:

  1. Hana,
    The Chicken Soup for the Soul guidelines say no essays, but the Teacher call for submissions says tips are good. Do you have a suggestion for this application? I started out with a story, then went to a list of tips, but not sure it works.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I've never seen a list of tips in one of their stories before. That's new to me. Stories with a strong hook, vivid images, good structure, and an ending that makes you feel something are usually the best bet. Good luck! If you want to discuss further, email me at greengrandma@comcast.net

      Delete
    2. Thank you Hana, that gives me confidence to submit it!

      Delete

Search This Blog