Friday, June 28, 2013

Vinegar Friday and an impromptu conversation

TGIVF!





On Wednesday, I wrote about my experience traveling to Chicago. Today, particularly since it's Vinegar Friday, I want to write about my experience traveling home.

Unlike Wednesday, when, through the kindness of a stranger, I made it from the airport to the hotel at no cost, the cab ride from the Allerton Hotel on Magnificent Mile to Midway Airport, cost a bundle. Well, not a bundle exactly, but a whole lot more than what I was prepared to pay. I'd gone online to see the cost and the website said the short trip would cost $25. The airport shuttle was $27, so I decided to take a cab. I asked about shuttle service at the Allerton, and the bellhop told me it would be the same price to take a cab and one was already waiting outside. Fair enough. I hopped in the cab without asking what it would cost. By the time I got to the airport, via a cab driver who barely spoke his broken English to me and who spent most of the time talking on his cell phone, it cost me $39! I was appalled. But, that's not the purpose of this post.

I boarded the plane and noticed there was a middle spot in the front seats, so I took it. I sat between two women and we had a nice chat as we waited to take off (40 minutes late because of lightning) and as we flew. One of the women started talking to me about green living. Of course, she didn't know she was sitting beside Green Grandma. She told me all about the dangers of chemicals in our products and the horror of artificial sweeteners. Eventually, she leaned over and mentioned the big one -- Vinegar!

"Do you have any idea all of the things you can do with vinegar?"

Well, yes, as a matter of fact I do.

"Let me tell you," she went on.

Finally, I said, "Actually, I wrote a book about vinegar."

"Get out of here!" she exclaimed.

At the end of a rather bumpy flight, Kristin asked me for a business card. We'd bonded over vinegar, like so many of us have. And that is why, every week, I start the post with Thank God it's Vinegar Friday!

Keeping the conversation lively with vinegar,






You can purchase Vinegar Fridays online at Lulu.com, Amazon.com, and BarnesandNoble.com.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you made it home safely. Too bad about the cab fare. I can't wait to read more about Vinegar Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie. It was nice meeting you in Chicago!

      Delete

Search This Blog