Monday, October 8, 2012

Exhausted after the Sabbath

Photo by David Wagner


I did not work in my office yesterday (it was the Sabbath, remember?) Never even turned on my computer to check out FB statuses. Not working = rest, right? Not in this case, and today my body is rebelling in all sorts of ways.

This coming Wednesday is our daughter, Mindy's, birthday. So we gathered the family together last evening to celebrate. We started off the day with Sunday School and worship service. I led the adult SS class discussion on the book/DVD series, Beautiful Outlaw, by John Eldredge, and then I sang with the worship team, which meant being on my feet a lot.

We skipped lunch out with the kids and headed to a couple stores on our way home from church, in preparation for the evening meal. Again, more time spent on my feet.

Once home, it was meal preparation, last minute cleaning, and creative table setting (that's something I enjoy, and if I must say so, I outdid myself... wish I had pictures). I was on my feet and up and down stairs (mostly related to the creative table setting and the need to retrieve items from the basement to make it just right). By 5:00, I was beat and the kids and grandkids started to arrive. 

By midnight, as we were closing the door as the last couple left, I was beat. I put away the remaining pieces of pumpkin cheesecake (yes, there was actually some cheesecake left!) and I headed for bed. Washing my face and brushing my teeth was even a struggle. 

I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been hit by a bus. My fibromyalgia and Epstein Barr Virus Syndrome tend to rear their ugly heads when autumn rolls around and this year is no exception. Ouch.

Was it worth it? Of course, it was. I love having the family gathered around the table sharing a meal and lots of laughter. I just wish we'd start doing this at someone else's house from time to time. Green Grandma's getting old. 

Why am I sharing all of this with you on this chilly Monday morning? Simply because it reiterates what I've been saying for 2 years now... Sabbath rest is necessary. At least it is for me. I wish my schedule allowed for me to substitute Monday for my Sabbath Experience this week, but there are deadlines to meet and meetings to plan for. So, I'm just going to have to wait until next week to savor the sweetness of a day of rest. 

Until then, I'll keep plowing through. 

Sharing my Sabbath experience with you week-by-week,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog