Friday, April 20, 2012

Vinegar Friday

TGIVF!

What a beautiful Vinegar Friday in Western Pennsylvania! It doesn't get much better than this. I started my day by showering and rinsing my hair with the last of my citrus-infused vinegar, after I took my tablespoon of Bragg's ACV. Then I threw the bamboo bed sheets in the wash and my granddaughter, the lovely little Lady Laura added a tablespoon of Lulu's in the Fluff Glamour Wash, a detergent that is not only poses no threats to our health, but also poses no threats to the environment. I added 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar instead of bleach or fabric softener. Once the wash cycle's done, I'll let the sun and breeze do their magic once I hang them on the line. I can't wait to be enveloped in that amazing scent when I crawl into bed tonight! My all-time favorite smell!!

I'm sitting out on my porch right now, chatting with you, while Bill blows bubbles with Laura. It's a perfect day.

The plans are to return the fish to the freshly cleaned out pond, once Bill rinses off the pump (that is soaking in ... you guessed it ... vinegar). Then Laura and I are going to do some earth-friendly crafting from a kit I received from Green Kid Crafts, which I'll be reviewing sometime soon.

Tonight, I'll use apple cider vinegar as an astringent on my face before I go to bed.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because Sunday is the 42nd anniversary of Earth Day! What better day to start celebrating than on Vinegar Friday? We'll make it a 3-day event here at the Caye house. Using vinegar to replace common household toxins is just one way to honor our Creator by caring for His creation. 




Laura and I walked around the backyard this morning picking dandelions that had gone to seed, and doing what children have always loved to do -- blowing those fuzzy little seeds into the sky. As we were doing this, I showed her a still-yellow dandelion and told her it would turn into what she was holding in her hand. She looked at both and said, "I don't believe you, Green Grandma." And yes, she does call me Green Grandma!


This Earth Day weekend, why not take the opportunity to teach your children or grandchildren a thing or two about nature? Take a walk. Lie on the grass and look at the clouds. Sit by a stream. Pick up litter. Blow dandelion seeds into the air. And talk. Try to come up with a new way to care for the earth. After all, she's been awfully kind to you now, hasn't she?

What are your plans for Earth Day? Stop over at our Facebook page and share your ideas with the community!

Keeping it green with vinegar,

Hana

In celebration of Earth Day, Lulu.com is planting trees for each author who enters their Earth Day contest. Plus, the author who sells the most books between April 18 - 25 will win a Nook and a $475 marketing consultation (1st place) or a $350 Clarion Book Review. I'd really like to win. Why not help out Green Grandma by ordering a book or two? Through the 25th, pick up a copy of Vinegar Fridays for just $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog