Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Learning to adapt ... or adapting to learn

Photo by Petr Kratochvil
 One of our community members posted her first graders report card. It was pretty impressive. But there was one grade that stood out ... a lone 'C' ... for math.

Ahhh, math. The destroyer of many a creative individual's GPA! The child I'm referring to is a marvelously creative, imaginative individual. So, naturally, math doesn't fit. It's just so ... clinical, or something like that. I mean, how imaginative or creative can you be when you're crunching numbers? And believe me, if I could have used my creativity to reduce our tax burden, I most certainly would have.

Do your kids struggle from the same I-can't-do-math ailment? Well, that's perfectly understandable. I bet they can paint a fantastic picture or write an imaginative piece of prose! Unfortunately, man does not live on prose alone. That's why finding an intelligent adaptive learning program just might be the answer for your kiddo ... and yes, I am linking to one in particular. While I've no need of it at this point, it does look like a good one. And let me tell you, I truly wish adaptive learning was around when my girls were young. They really struggled and we found their teachers basically to be useless to them. They either didn't have the time, due to class size, or the inclination to individualize lessons to help my girls. I so regret not doing more to help my kids out when they were struggling in school and were floundering without a net.

So, what is adaptive learning? It's a way to tailor lessons specifically geared toward your child's specific problems. And it's done on the computer. 

Wait. Does this mean their teachers won't factor in to  their education? 

Quite the opposite! Since this tailored learning drastically improves each child's abilities, it frees up their teachers to be able to provide more meaningful one-on-one time with each student. It is a win-win situation!
Rather than simply being passive receptors of the teacher's instruction, kids participating in adaptive learning, are able to collaborate in their own education. And once vested in it, they are more likely to want to succeed. Make sense?

With adaptive learning, computers are able to pick up on each student's weaknesses (based on their responses to questions), and adapt a program specifically for them. The content is interactive, drawing each student in, and creating an atmosphere for success! And it is effective for elementary school-age children, as well as college-bound kids ... and beyond!

According to KQED.org, adaptive learning is on the list for the top 12 Education Tech Trends to watch this year. It's garnering attention for one simple reason ... it works!

During a parent/teacher conference when my daughter was in third grade, her teacher told me Bethany was never going to make anything of herself. Really?! How dare she!! I was furious. While Bethany, and Jessica, for that matter, struggled in school, I truly believe that intelligent adaptive learning would have been a great benefit to them. And that's why I decided to take the time to write about it for you. With adaptive learning, teachers can point you in the right direction, and then leave you to discover what you need to learn.

Do you want math lessons that are engaging and interactive? Do you want a program designed to meet your child where he/she is at right now? Don't count on the teacher to develop it. Offer your child a chance to build up their confidence and sense of accomplishment. Look into intelligent adaptive learning. You just might be amazed when report card time rolls around again!

What subject did you struggle with the most in school?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog