Friday, March 16, 2012

Vinegar Friday -- No pooing with a twist!

Did you ever get a tip from someone that simply made your life a bit sweeter?
Photo by Petr Kratochvil

Back in December, Jessica, a follower of the Green Grandma's Vinegar Fridays Facebook page, posted this on my wall:

One seasonal vinegar tip I have is that at least once a year (around this time) I save all my peels from oranges or other citrus fruits and cover with white vinegar. I let it set for a few months (or at least 6 weeks) and then I can use my great citrus vinegar for my homemade cleaner recipes and have lovely orange scented floors and counters.

What a great tip! I loved the idea, so I started my own jar of mandarin orange-infused vinegar.

On Saturday morning, I decided to try something new in the shower. Doing my usual no-pooing routine, I washed my hair with baking soda, but replaced the apple cider vinegar with the much better scented citrus vinegar. What a pleasant change of pace! The difference was like apples and oranges ... oh wait, the difference was apples and oranges.

Later that day, my husband hugged me and, getting a whiff of my dry hair, said, "Your hair smells really good." Ahhh. He hasn't said that in a long, long time.

So, here's the twist to my usual no pooing advice: Mix up some distilled white vinegar with your citrus peels. Unfortunately, you will have to be patient and wait for a couple of months to start experiencing the refreshing difference. But why not start a few different jars? You could do grapefruit, lemon or orange and pick your favorite.

I'd love to hear from you after you give this a try. No pooing with a twist. How's that for a Vinegar Friday tip?

Keeping it green with vinegar,

Hana

Never heard of 'no pooing?' You can read more about it here, or buy a copy of my book, Green Grandma's Vinegar Fridays.


Grocery coupons are often available for vinegar and other household products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog