Monday, April 4, 2011

The Sabbath Experiment -- week 26


The lovely little Lady Laura at Chuck E. Cheese (8/10)
 Well, here it is...the halfway mark of my first year of the Sabbath Experiment. Have any of you joined me in a Sabbath experiment of your own? I can't tell you how much I am not only enjoying this, but benefiting from it as well.

This past weekend was a total joy. On Friday night, my husband and I had the privilege of keeping our 29-month-old granddaughter, Laura, overnight....such fun! We rewarded her for not having any accidents in her pants for quite awhile (including overnight), but taking her to Chuck E. Cheese, much to her delight!

Prior to that, I was finally able to meet a longtime follower of the blog, when she, her husband and her 20-month-old daughter came to visit. After months of encouraging each other and sending virtual hugs, it was so nice to finally wrap my arms around this new friend. We met through the blogisphere, after Adam, from Happy Baby Company, directed me to her blog, Imanimama. Meeting Jen was definitely a highlight to my weekend.

On Saturday, my daughter, Jessica, Laura and I went out to breakfast and then headed over to Whole Foods. I was thrilled to find chewing gum there that didn't have any aspartame in it -- a rare find these days!

When I got home that afternoon, I'd discovered that my husband had stripped the bed, washed the sheets and removed the box spring and mattress so that he could clean out years worth (I'm embarrassed to say) of stuff (and missing shoes) that had been hibernating there...not to mention the unmentionable amount of dust accumulated along the baseboard. Yck. We slept so much better Saturday night, free of the debris.

I was tired when I woke up for our Sabbath day, and quite honestly, did not want to get out of bed for Sunday School and church. But am sure glad that I did. Excellent class on Judges 11 and a wonderful worship service focused on giving. Next week is Compassion Sunday, so the sermon was most appropriate. It was fun to hear our seven-month-old, Lincoln, chiming in during the song service this week! And I am always blessed to watch as Laura folds her hands and bows her head during each and every prayer. She's even started to pray along with the Lord's Prayer. How precious is that?

In lieu of our usual after-church lunch, some of us headed over to my daughter, Bethany's, to prepare for a celebratory dinner honoring my husband, Bill's birthday (which is today, by the way). After years of using jarred, I decided to make spaghetti sauce from scratch, although I later realized it might not be as healthly, considering I used some canned products in it and the cans most likely were lined with BPA! The ten of us gathered around the table for a delicious meal and the best dinner company one could ask for! We were loud, we were happy, and, most importantly, we were together. What could be better on the Sabbath? We got home rather late (our daughter lives close to an hour south of us), and I was tired...but content.

How was your weekend? I hope you found time to rest and enjoy your family! I'd love to hear about it.

Sharing my Sabbath experience,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog