Monday, October 11, 2010

The Sabbath Experiment -- week 3

Good Monday morning! It is a magnificent day in Pittsburgh...sunny and cool with temps expected to rise throughout the day. Can't ask for better weather for the 11th of October. Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends!

One of the best days of my life happened seven years ago today. I received a phone call early in the morning from the daughter I gave up for adoption 23 years earlier! I cannot describe the feelings I experienced that day as I was able to hold my "baby" in my arms once again (which happened just four short hours after the phone call)! It was a magical day. So happy anniversary to me!

So, how was your weekend? I had a lovely one...for the most part. Garage sales on Saturday with my youngest daughter and grandbaby and then my celebration of the Sabbath yesterday. Bill and I started off the day with Sunday School and worship, followed by a quiet lunch by ourselves. It was one of those truly rare Sundays when the kids weren't with us. After lunch, we stopped at an estate sale as they were closing up for the day (bargain time!) and I picked up two wonderful card tables for a dollar each and two Po-ke-no games for 25 cents each. I see a recreational theme developing here! The folding tables are old...and super sturdy! Heavy wood legs and inlaid wood tops. Simply beautiful...for a dollar each!! And the Po-ke-no games brought back such fun memories of playing with my kids and mother-in-law. If you have never played this game, it is one of those rare games that you actually enjoy playing with children.

After the sale, we drove over to the house of a dying woman. We are good friends with Denise's brother and his family, but have only met her a handful of times when she visited our church. However, we've been praying for her a lot over the past several years, heartsick over the news of her brain tumor; overjoyed when the treatments produced positive results. This past summer, things started to go downhill. Now, at 46 years old, she lies in a hospital bed in her own home surrounded by loving family who wait with her for the end to come.

It was a sad visit. Bill prayed for Denise -- not just for peace and comfort in these last days, but also, boldly, for a miracle. Bill called upon God to heal Denise, knowing that our God is a master of miracles. No supernatural manifestations occurred, but we are confident God is at work. It is just that the outcome is not always what we are hoping for.

I napped for awhile in the late afternoon (don't you just love naps?!) and phoned my mother. ("What did you want?" she asked. "Nothing in particular, Mom. Just called because if I don't, you'll call and say, 'I haven't heard from you in a week.'" "Oh." I got her on that one)! Then Bill and I both spoke with our second oldest daughter who celebrated her 31st birthday yesterday. She is on vacation, so we missed out on seeing her, but at least we got to talk to her.

At 7:30, we entertained new friends who came over to play Pinochle, a game my husband and I love, but haven't been able to find anyone to play with since my step-father died three years ago. We had a simply wonderful time sitting out on the porch playing cards and talking o'clock in the morning...on a work night! No one was paying attention to the time.

Overall rating of our third Sabbath day of rest: B+. With the demands of work lifted off our shoulders for a day, we actually had the freedom to do what we wanted. And that is exactly what we did.

Have you jumped on the Sabbath Experiment bandwagon yet? If so, let me know how it is going for you. In the meantime, I think it is time for me to get back to work.

Have a blessed week,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog