Thursday, October 14, 2010

O be careful little eyes what you see



I have long been amazed at the types of movies parents allow their children to see...not to mention the violent video games they let them play...but that's a different topic.

Parents who rely on the PG or PG-13 rating without learning any more about a movie, are acting irresponsibly as parents...at least in my opinion. When my kids were young, I made that mistake myself from time to time, much to my embarrassment. But back then, there were no quick resources like there are now to help a parent out.

By the time the girls were in their teens, I discovered Focus on the Family's Plugged In online resource. The thing I appreciate about Plugged In is the thorough reviews given of movies, videos, television shows, games and new albums. Rather than just providing a brief overview followed by a thumbs up or down, several different aspects are examined. In the case of movies, the reviewer addresses the following issues:

• Positive Elements
• Spiritual Content
• Sexual Content
• Violent Content
• Crude or Profane Language
• Drug and Alcohol Content
• Other Negative Elements
• Conclusion

What I love about this, and have always loved about it, is the way the reviewer lays it all out for you, so you can make a well-informed decision about whether or not the film is age-appropriate for your child.

But it is not just about what is right for your kids to watch. My husband and I turn to Plugged In on a regular basis before we head out to the movies. While alcohol use does not necessarily offend us, excessive profanity does. Same with violence. It is something we would rather not be exposed to.

Teenagers are deluged with sexuality all around them. Do you really want them watching movies that affirm recreational sexual encounters and illicit affairs?

I could go on and on about this, as it is something I feel passionately about. But I have found that parents either care about this or they don't. For those of you on the fence, I simply ask you to check out the reviews on Plugged In and see for yourself if it is a useful resource for your family.

As I sit typing this post, a song from my childhood keeps playing over and over again in my mind. Casting Crowns resurrected the song a couple of years ago, which I think is a really good thing. The lyrics are simple exhortation:

O be careful little eyes what you see
O be careful little eyes what you see
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
 So, be careful little eyes what you see
O be careful little ears what you hear
O be careful little ears what you hear
There's a Father up above
 And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little ears what you hear

The song continues with warning our hands to be careful what they do, our feet to be careful where they go and our mouths to be careful what they say. Perhaps this is a song we should all have written on our hearts. And it is a song we should be humming to ourselves as we enter a movie theater or send our kids off to one.

What does this have to do with the purpose of this blog? Well, part of keeping our families healthy, includes keeping them emotionally, mentally and spiritually well. So while I try to inform you of what chemicals to avoid to keep your homes and families safe, I also give out my unsolicited advice in emotional and spiritual matters as well. I hope it helps.


Keeping it healthy,

Hana

1 comment:

  1. We use PluggedIn a lot too for finding out if a movie is even worth watching or not. = )

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog