Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Kiss me...I'm wearing fossil fuels


I hope you will forgive my lack of posts over the last several days. Just blame it on the snowstorm of 2010. That said, I'm back to it...unless this next one (due today) nails us again.


We hear a lot about fossil fuels lately, but I have to admit, I didn’t know exactly what that term meant, so I did a little research. Basically, what I found out is that fossil fuels are non-renewable resources, like coal, oil (petroleum) natural gas, methane and diesel that contain a high level of carbons and hydrocarbons. The push is for renewable energy from natural sources, such as wind, water, tides, geothermal heat and sunlight.

Okay, so we know that in an ideal world, our sources for energy would come from natural, renewable sources. But what about the non-energy-related products we choose? Petroleum derivatives, such as paraffin, mineral oil and propylene glycol are found in most of the cosmetic products we use. Just grab your tube of lip balm and look for yourself!

There are alternatives to using these non-renewable petroleum derivatives in the products we use every day, such as beeswax, and more and more companies are switching over to these environmentally-friendly ingredients.

Some health and environmentally-conscious companies to buy from:


There are countless other companies offering alternatives to petroleum-based cosmetics. A wonderful resource I stumbled upon is the website for Natural Living for Women, which states it is a guide to “a healthy, natural and green lifestyle,” and is animal, people and earth friendly. Check them out at http://www.natural-living-for-women.com/.

With all of the alternatives out there, maybe it’s time to walk on by the L’Oreal®, CoverGirl®, Maybelline® aisles at the drug store and invest in a healthier future for yourself and the environment.

Keeping it green and healthy,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog