Monday, October 26, 2009

Another recycling option

Milk and juice cartons are recyclable! Who knew? I certainly didn't. Waste Management and Tropicana worked together with some of the juice company's suppliers to form the Juice Carton Council. What does this mean for you? Well, depending on where you live and who collects your recycling, you may be able to throw your juice and milk cartons directly into your recycling bins for pickup. To find out if your community is part of this initiative, go to and click on your state. Unfortunately, for those of us who live in Pennsylvania, the only participating area is far. The Juice Carton Council is working hard to make carton recycling available in every part of the country.

In the meantime, recycling kits with prepaid mailing labels are available at If Waste Management is not yet accepting beverage cartons for recycling in your area, you can purchase a recycling kit, fill it and mail it back. Yes, it is an expense on your part, but it is also an investment in the future of the environment.

Recycling kits are available for the following:
  • Wash, Squash and Recyle -- group together aluminum, tin and steel cans, cardboard, clipboard (i.e. cereal boxes), paper, plastic bottles and jugs, juice and milk cartons
  • CFL -- for all CFLs and fluorescent tubes
  • Batteries -- dry cell
  • Electronics and Computers -- all computer components, televisions, VCRs, etc.
  • Syringes and Lancets

The next time you're debating what brand of juice to buy, opt for Tropicana, as they were the first national juice manufacturer to qualify to place a recycle logo on thier packaging. Constantly looking for ways to improve their products' sustainability, their beverage cartons are manufactured with 85% renewable materials. A recycle-friendly polymer makes up the remaining 15%.

By supporting companies that truly care about being good stewards of the environment, we demonstrate our own commitment to living greener lives now and providing a better future for our children and grandchildren.

Keeping it green,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog