Thursday, April 9, 2015

TBT: Queen of... procrastination

I hate to admit it, but since I posted this back in April 2012, I haven't improved much in the procrastination arena. At least not when it comes to taxes. So, folks, for today's Throwback Thursday, I present to you a confession of sorts. And now... it's time to get back to my taxes. At least I still have 6 days. Is anyone else facing this panic?


I wonder how many of you knew exactly what I'd be blogging about today, after reading the title of this post? Yes, taxes. Ugh.

I got up at 7:30 this morning after lying in bed praying ... thanking God for another day, which my friend, Sharon, couldn't do, as she is being buried today. I thanked Him for my vision, which my friend, Sharon, was robbed of over a decade ago. I thanked Him for my talent, which was a common bond between my friend, Sharon, and me. I thanked Him for my friend, Sharon. And I prayed for her family and loved ones. It is a sad time for all of us.

I also planned out my morning, which included writing this blog post, doing some laundry and getting back to work on ... gasp ... taxes. 

As is par the course for a procrastinator like me, I put off the blog post (which I planned to do first) and decided to get the laundry going, since I wanted to get it all on the line before the rains moved in this afternoon. Then I emptied the dishwasher and reloaded it, made breakfast, cleaned that up, folded laundry, hung more on the line, answered emails, checked out Facebook, etc., etc. 

And now, I'm finally writing this confession of sorts. I am a procrastinator. Always have been. Change has to come one of these days, don't you think? But that's not what I'm confessing. It's just the catalyst. You see, I failed miserably with my commitment to the Sabbath Experience. I did not rest yesterday. Why? Because I'm a procrastinator. Plain and simple. Taxes were not done ... and still aren't. So, I spent my evening crunching numbers. The results are not pretty. Today, I have to examine and reexamine the forms, looking for a mistake (praying there's a mistake), and then moving on to State and Local taxes. When a person is self-employed, like I am, taxes are a nightmare. We have to keep every receipt, document every expense, and keep track of every payment made. It's not pretty. Not pretty at all. 

Of course, I've had months to organize everything and get this done. But that brings us back to the title of this blog: I am the queen of procrastination. I've always worked best under a tight deadline, which is fine, except in this case, I missed my Sabbath rest. 

Well, there's always next week to get back on track with that. And next year, to avoid doing this tax time crunch again. Think I can do it? Only time will tell.

What have you procrastinated about lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog