Friday, March 28, 2014

IOTUT -- Sounds a little nutty

It's time for Friday's Instead of This, Use This, and I have a proposition for you. I'm looking for guest bloggers to offer their green alternatives to commonly used items. So, if you'd like to be heard here on GG, email me at greengrandma@comcast.net and let me know what you'd like to blog about. I love featuring guest bloggers and learning new things from them!



This week, I'm looking at cosmetics... moisturizer in particular. While I know there are wonderfully effective safe alternatives out there there, I wanted to present an alternative that is not only eco-friendly, but is friendly to your wallet as well. And I sincerely hope none of you are still using the toxin-laden hand and body creams that are on the market from companies like L'Oreal, Jergens, Bath & Body Works, etc. 

I have to admit, it was hard for me to break away from my favorite Bath & Body Works fragrance, Japanese Cherry Blossom, which scented many of my products, including my body lotion. I absolutely loved the scent. Still do. But when I found out it rated 8 out of 10 for toxins on the EWG's Skin Deep database, I reluctantly disposed of it. Here's what the database has to say about the formula I was using:


Yeah, I thought it was time to move on. 

So, what do I use now? I use a variety of products from trusted companies with zero toxins like Earth Mama Angel Baby, SKINourishment, and Ava Anderson. I sometimes venture into using products from companies like love&toast, although I understand there are still some issues with their products. For example, I recently purchased love&toast's Honey Nectar Body Butter. It's made with shea butter and smells divine. It contains no parabens, no phthalates, no petrolatum, no mineral oil, no propylene glycol, no retinol, no sulfates, and no synthetic color. However, it does rate a 3 out of 10 on the EWG's database, so every time I use it, I know it's not as safe as EMAB's lotion.

But today, I wanted to give you an alternative to all the commercially available moisturizers, safe or otherwise. Coconut oil. Yes, organic coconut oil. It is the only moisturizer I use on my face and the most-used "lotion" I use on my legs after shaving. A tiny bit goes a long way. This is a healthy-for-my-body and pocketbook alternative.

So, that's it. Instead of commercial and potentially-harmful moisturizers and lotions, use plain ol' coconut oil. Slather it on. You're worth it.

Keeping it earth- and people-friendly on a Friday,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog