Friday, May 24, 2013

Vinegar Friday -- Just in time for a picnic

TGIVF!!

Not only is it Vinegar Friday, but it's the beginning of a long weekend for many of you in the Monday-Friday workforce. So, what are the plans? Picnic, anyone?

I have to admit, I'm not a big Memorial Day picnic person. I tend to enjoy a quiet, contemplative day instead. I like the simplicity of the day and enjoy spending it alone with my husband. However, I know that's not the case for most Americans, as it is also a celebration of the unofficial start of summer. 

So, with picnics in mind, I thought I'd post my recipe for macaroni salad, which is also in my book, Vinegar Fridays. This was my father's favorite macaroni salad recipe, which always made me happy.

Photo by Junior Libby

Green Grandma's Macaroni Salad
  
                               1 lb. macaroni
                               1 small onion, finely diced
                               4 hard boiled eggs, diced
                               1 carrot, finely chopped

                                Dressing:

                                1/2 cup sugar
                                3 Tbsp. mustard
                                1 cup mayonnaise
                                1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
                                 salt to taste

Cook macaroni  until soft, but firm. Drain and    chill for at least an hour in the refrigerator. Add onion, eggs and carrot. Mix dressing ingredients and add to macaroni. Mix well and sprinkle with paprika. 

Note: Opt for organic DWV and pasta to avoid the GMOs and possible chemical processing. And check out local farmers' markets for farm fresh eggs.

Have a safe, happy and scrumptious weekend.

Keeping it green with vinegar,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog