Monday, May 13, 2013

Life. It goes on.

Well, I made it through my first Mother's Day without my mom. This experience has such commonality to it. Nearly all of us will face it sometime in our lives. 

Marley Grace 5.12.13
I chose not to attend our worship service yesterday. I just wasn't up for being in a crowd. Instead, my husband and I had a relaxing morning at home. He made me breakfast and served it to me in bed. Later, we gathered with some family members at a nearby restaurant for a Mother's Day brunch. There were 11 of us, including the new grandbaby (who slept through all the commotion).

Included in the group was my daughter's husband's family. Her mother-in-law lost her mom two days before my mom died in January. Common bond. My other daughter (the one with the new baby) was not only grieving the loss of her grandma, who she was incredibly close to, but also of her mother-in-law, who died last summer at the age of 51. So... we had a table full of grief. Every one of us sitting at the table lost someone important to us since last Mother's Day. It was hard to imagine. Yet the mood was not morose. Rather it was festive and chatty. The only real tears came after Bethany gave her sister and me magnets with a photo of Laura holding Marley on them... we couldn't help thinking there was one place the magnet belonged -- on Great-Grandma Gene's refrigerator.

In addition to the adorable magnet (the picture is of my grandkids... how can it not be?!), I was blessed with other gifts, which included vinegar (of course!), organic quinoa, organic popcorn, a plant, a birdhouse, and some plates made out of fallen palm leaves (how awesome is that?!). Plus a few other goodies. The best gift of all, however, was being surrounded by love. As I sat looking around the table, I saw the faces of people who love me. How could I not feel blessed?

Love

Life. It goes on. Even after devastating losses, there is always reason for joy. The gurgling sound of a newborn. The laughter of a two-year-old. The sweet songs of a four-year-old. The joys in my life. 

I hope your day was filled with some joy as well, despite the possible sorrow you faced. Whether you were missing your mom or grandma, grieving the loss of a child (born or unborn), struggling with infertility, or simply longing to be married with children. The feeling of loss on Mother's Day is universal and timeless. Yet joy can found when we're willing to wipe away the tears and simply open our eyes and  hearts to the wonders around us.

Appreciating the blessings,

 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about for loss...my mom passed away 15 years ago (I was 17), and I wish I could say Mother's Day gets easier with each passing year, but it's still a very bittersweet day. Your granddaughter is so adorable...she was born on my birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaclyn. I'm sorry for your loss as well. Your mom died so young, so it's a bit a different for you. I hope you were able to enjoy your day yesterday, even so.

      And, yes, Marley is adorable :)

      Delete
  2. (Sorry for the above typos...typing with a wiggly 16 month old in my lap is no easy task!)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog