Monday, November 8, 2010

The Sabbath Experiment -- week 7

I have to admit it, I'm not feeling rested this beautiful Monday morning. Not that I worked yesterday...but I also didn't rest. Let me tell you, this isn't working out quite the way I wanted it to. The only thing I seem to be sticking to is not getting on my computer and working on my actual job. But I didn't really do any work around the house, either. So, like I said in a previous post, it is not just about not working, it is about resting and that is something I simply did not do yesterday.

Started the day at church. Bill taught the Jr. and Sr. High kids, along with one adult who wandered into class and stayed, and I practiced with the worship band. That was followed by the actual worship service. The kids and grandkids joined us for lunch and then hung out at the house for awhile. By 4:30 everyone was gone and Bill and I headed over to the hospital to visit Lois, a friend who has been in a coma for two weeks now following surgery for a brain aneurysm. If you are on the GG Facebook page, this is the friend I have been asking you to pray for.

Bill and I stood by Lois's side with her daughter and we prayed for her, just like we did at church...just like we do in the car, and in bed and at work. Like we do when we sit down to a meal. Like we do...well...all the time, basically. Over the weekend, a new aneurysm appeared. More bleeding. More concern. Same God. And we believe He's going to heal her. If you would like to follow Lois's journey, the family set up a webpage with Caring Bridge. Feel free to visit.

We left the hospital and drove around the area a bit, looking for a place to eat. We ended up in Shadyside at Doc's Place, a pleasant enough restaurant/bar where we sat close to a man who so closely resembled Hugh Laurie (House) that for awhile we weren't sure that it wasn't him. He had the same scruffy beard and dressed like House. The giveaway to us that it wasn't really Laurie, was when the man got up and walked past us limping!! For those of you who watch the show HOUSE, you will know that the character Laurie plays uses a cane and has a distinctive limp, but the actor himself does not. This look-alike was just milking his resemblance to the hilt!! He probably loves watching people like us turning to look at him, talking softly to each other, turning to look again! Have you ever run across someone like that?

By the time we got home, it was late and we were beat. It was a long day. I resisted the urge to check my email, staying true to that aspect of my Sabbath experiment. And to be fair to myself, I didn't really do anything against my own Sabbath "bylaws." Worship service, visiting the sick, not even preparing my own meals...I guess I can't say it was a "fail." I just wish I wasn't so darned tired this morning!

Have you started your own Sabbath experiment? How's that going for you? Maybe next week I'll get to actually rest a bit.

Giving you a glimpse into my Sundays,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog