Monday, June 7, 2010

A hairy dilemma

I have a dilemma. I may be The Green Grandma, but that doesn't mean I want to be The Grey Grandma! I don't want grey hair. Period. But this hair dying routine I go through every six weeks or so has me feeling a little bit guilty. After all, the toxins and heavy metals I'm putting onto my head and then washing down the drain cannot be doing me or the earth any good, and chances are, they're doing both of us a bit of harm.

As a matter of fact, research shows that home-dye solutions can contain quite a few known carcinogens, including Acid Orange 24, 2,3-Naphthalenediol and F,D,&C, D&C, and P-phenylenediamine.  So what do I do?


I'm really not sure. I know that Aveda Salons offer plant based dyes that are gentler to people and the environment, but for me, that doesn't work into my budget right now.

I guess I'll check out natural hair dyes by companies such as Act by Nature. They make their dyes sound desirable -- "100% naturally-derived plant based permanent patent pending hair colorant that is free of: paraphenylene diamine (PPD), resorcinol, m-aminophenol, p-aminophenol, toluene- 2,5-diamine, azo-dyes, diazo-dyes, disperse dyes, ammonia, and parabens – all synthetic chemicals which are known allergens and suspected carcinogens."

If you know of any other alternatives for me (other than letting nature take its course), please let me know. After all, over the last 9 months or so, I've been sharing lots and lots of tips with you. Now it's your turn. Like I said, I'm in a dilemma. Help me solve it and they'll be a prize in it for you!

Trying to keep it green,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog