Friday, April 22, 2016

Earth Day 2016 -- When it's an afterthought



Today is Earth Day. It's a day when people who might not give environmentalism a second thought on any other day of the year, tend to pitch in and do their part. They clean up parks and roads. They conserve water and/or electricity. They might carpool or walk. Yes, those things happen on April 22nd every year, or at least on the Saturday closest to that date. And that's a good thing. The environment can always use a boost in proactive awareness, don't you think?

I have to admit, however, that as busy as I've been this month, I didn't even give Earth Day a thought. It wasn't until I logged on to Facebook that I even realized what day it was. I should be ashamed of myself. Here I am trying to lead all of you onto a path of environmental awareness and change and I was completely unaware. Wonderful.

But it's not too late to do something about it. I think I'll take the opportunity to share a little bit about Earth Day with my middle grandchild. Her birthday's coming up and I think spending a day with this precious soon-to-be three-year-old at Phipp's Conservatory and Botanical Gardens would be simply perfect. They're doing a four-day Earth Day celebration, highlighting their butterfly garden. 

The thing is, it's never too early to start teaching kids about the importance of caring for the earth and its inhabitants. 

What about you? What special plans do you have to celebrate Earth Day/Earth Weekend? I'd love to hear all about it in the comments below. 



2 comments:

  1. I spend Earth Day talking to people about sustainability. I taught about how to transition from chemical to organic land care.
    I show kids the different things that live in the soil, from earth worms to bacteria and fungi. I feel like showing our kids about sustainable living is the best way to teach them sustainability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Javi. Thank you for sharing. GG

      Delete

Search This Blog