Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My Green Gratitude List

These are the real reasons I do what I do. Aren't they beautiful?
If you're on Facebook, you've probably noticed a lot of your friends posting what they're thankful for each day. It's November and it brings out the gratitude in most of us. With so many other things on my plate right now, I opted out of this daily chore. But that doesn't mean I don't spend each day feeling thankful for numerous things and people in my life.

Rather than a month of daily posts, I thought I'd share 30 things right here that I'm thankful for in relation to green living.

1. My green husband. I am so blessed to have married a man who was recycling back in the 70s, long before it was a widely accepted practice. Bill encourages me in my path as Green Grandma, and is quick to embrace the new information I share with him. He's been a role model to me and for that, I am eternally grateful.

2. My green daughters who cloth diaper, breastfeed, recycle, research products, feed their kids organic food, avoid harmful chemicals, and support me in all that I do.

3. The mamas at Earth Mama Angel Baby, who not only care about their own kids, but they care about all of our kids. And they were one of the first companies to offer support and encouragement to me as Green Grandma.

4. Adam and Lilli at Happy Baby Company. They spread the cloth diapering message with such love and grace. I'm grateful for their support as well.

5. Allin and Catriona Faragalli of the wonderful Leaf & Bud Naturals. Always encouraging. Always supportive.

6. Jill Wirth of Green Baby Clothing Company. Jill joins the above-mentioned as one of the green company owners who supported me right from the start. 

7.Sherri Dmyterko for introducing me to the wonders of Norwex!

8. William R. Reynolds Young, who gave me DEO deodorant to try... need I say more?

9. Ed Brown, for his remarkable documentary, Unacceptable Levels, and for his graciousness.

10. My mother for instilling in me the desire to use cloth napkins and china plates and silverware, even though she didn't do it for environmental reasons. I've been using them long before the thought of going green ever entered my mind. 

11. My sister, Carolyn, for modeling what a good mommy looks like for me. I wanted to be just like her when I had my own children, which is why I cloth diapered and breastfed. Without her example, I might have made other choices.

12. The doctor who determined I had Epstein Barr and that chemicals, particularly formaldehyde, were my triggers. Learning to avoid as many toxins as possible has led to less flare-ups for me.

13. Dr. Patrick Maddigan, my chiropractor, who pursues a natural, non-medicated, path for my pain relief.

14. My career, which allows me to stay at home and lessen my carbon footprint by not requiring a commute.

15. My God-given appreciation of nature. Few things delight me more than watching the birds and squirrels in my back yard. As a matter of fact, there is a gorgeous red-headed woodpecker at the feeder outside my office window right now adding delight to my day!

16. Vinegar! Of course, a green gratitude list would not be complete without my mentioning vinegar. I'm thankful for all the wonders of it!

17. All of my green-minded friends, both old and new, who support me in this journey.

18. Hyland's Homeopathic products -- pick one. They're all wonderful!
  
19. Congregation members at Emmanuel Christian Church who bring their recyclables to church each Sunday and recognize our need as Christians to care for this magnificent world we live in.

20. I'm thankful for all of the people who have bought my book and are taking steps to eliminate toxins in their lives.

21. I'm thankful that Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar makes it possible for me to be off Nexium!

22. My appreciation of quiet... which requires no electricity or wireless signals. I truly am thankful that my husband and I have no need or desire to be plugged in 24/7.

23. The men and women who are fighting the big corporations like Monsanto, Dow and DuPont to bring back a safer world in which to raise our children.

24. Clean air and clean water... when I can find it.

25. My God-given passion to make a difference for the environment... in a common sense way.

26. The Bible, which encourages me to keep going, despite those who mock me.

27. The magnificence of the autumn landscape, which will no longer exist if we continue to chop down all the trees.

28. Composting. What a simple way to reduce waste.

29. You, the Green Grandma community. You inspire me, motivate me, bring me joy.

30. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit for this incredible creation. I imagine the Trinity had a ball creating it all! And I will never stop praising Him/Them for it!


Well, that's my gratitude list. Now... what are you thankful for?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog