Friday, February 3, 2012

Vinegar Friday -- keeping berries fresh

Photo by Petr Kratochvil



TGIVF! Here in Pittsburgh, it is an absolutely beautiful Vinegar Friday! The sun is shining, the birds are singing and the squirrels have been entertaining me as they play in the yard. It's a happy day.

What doesn't make me happy is when I discover moldy food in my refrigerator and I have to throw it away. So often, in the supermarket, produce is prepackaged and you either have to buy more than you need or nothing at all. Doesn't that aggravate you? I love grapes, but there is no way we will eat the amount bagged in the produce department. We just won't. So, I don't buy grapes. I've thrown way too many away.

Strawberries are another problem. Prepackaged. Too many. With my diabetes, I have to watch out how much fruit I eat in a day, so again, moldy fruit makes its way to the compost pile or trash.

I was delighted when my friend, Megan, sent me an email early in the week that offered a solution to this problem (not the prepackaging, but the mold). Apparently, vinegar is the answer. Of course! Why didn't I think of that?!

As promised on the Vinegar Fridays Facebook page, I'm sharing that solution with you today. Here it is:

Fill a bowl, basin or sink (depending on how many berries you have) with one part distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to ten parts water. Dump in the berries, swirl around a bit and drain (rinsing really isn't necessary). The vinegar will kill any mold spores while you wash the berries. From what I read, berries will keep one to two weeks in the fridge without going bad.

Now isn't that a bit of good news for the day?

Keeping it green, and fresh, with vinegar,

Hana

If you want to read more vinegar tips, please order my book, Vinegar Fridays, available here. And don't forget to 'like' VF on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog