It's Review It Wednesday and today it's all about what Amy Boehme of Minneapolis did with an idea.
You see, Amy loved to shop at garage sales (a woman after my own heart). She also wanted to start a business someday. Passion + drive = magic! At least, that's the way I look at it.
Amy is the owner of New to You Clothing. Oh, another resale shop, you may be thinking. What's so special about that? What's special about it is that you don't have to get dressed, fix your hair/makeup, strap the kiddos in their carseats and drive to the shop. You simply pop open your laptop and shop in the luxury of your home/office/backyard ... wherever. But don't think you're going to have to pay premium prices for this premium concept. Nope. Amy offers garage sale prices on gently used kids' clothes. And shipping in the U.S. is beyond reasonable. $2.50 for the first item, with a 50 cents charge per additional item. Or, you can fill a box for a flat rate price of $10.95 for a medium USPS box, or $14.95 for a large one. Of course, bulky items might run a bit more, but overall, the S/H costs are quite low compared to other sites.
It all started with a need to sell her first child's clothing. Living in a small apartment, Amy simply didn't have the space to store clothes in case they had another girl. So she started listing her clothes, in lots, on Craigslist. While some things sold, this was not an ideal situation. Then one day, after considering the recommendation of a repeat customer, Amy launched her New to You Clothing website.
Here's what I like about it:
- Convenient. Like I said, this is I'm looking grimy today, but it's okay kind of shopping. You can do it anywhere you have Internet access.
- Cheap. With prices ranging from 50 cents to 15 dollars, this site gives Goodwill and garage saling a run for their money!
- Categorized. Don't you hate having to search through Rubbermaid bins full of kids' clothing at garage sales? Or sorting through the racks at Goodwill, where there is no rhyme or reason to the placement of clothes? Amy has her site set up in such an orderly fashion, it is a delight to shop for clothing for your little one. Everything is categorized according to gender and size, with pictures and description of each item. I simply love this!
- Clean. Amy carefully launders each item prior to listing it.
- Cool. This is just a cool idea. Period.
- Creative. I just adore creative minds.