Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Common sense and the 4th of July

What do common sense and the 4th of July have to do with each other. Well, apparently not a whole lot when it comes to some people.

According to a local emergency room physician, the holiday weekend casualities included eyesight, fingers and a hand, all lost to amateur fireworks accidents. Like I said, a lack of common sense.

I live in Pennsylvania where explosive fireworks are illegal, unless one has a permit. Perhaps where you live these dangerous "toys" are legal. But legality doesn't make it smart. Take, for instance, the legality of riding a motorcycle without a helmut on a highway....ummmm, I don't even know what to say about that.

My question is: is hearing a big bang and watching a display of lights worth the risk of losing your eyesight or a finger of two? Really? What about the wayword firework propellant that doesn't head in the direction you thought it was going and instead heads right toward your precious child? It happens every year.... And every time the person lighting it thought it was safe.

I could go on and on about this one. But I won't waste my breath (I'm reading aloud as I type). There are those of you who will continue to take this risk, year after year. And most will never have to run to the ER for themselves or a loved one. But if even one of you heeds my advice to steer clear of explosives used for recreation, and it saves you and yours from what could happen, then this post was worth it.

I know it's not a popular position I'm taking. It's caused problems for me within my own family. But it's one I won't back down on. And even though July 4th, 2010 is behind us, there's always next year, and the year after that, and so on.

On the plus side, let me say how much I enjoyed the televised celebration in Boston again this year. Keith Lockhart is simply the best. Craig Ferguson's love of this country is inspiring. And Toby Keith's admiration for our service men and women is beyond compare. Thank you, Boston, for reminding the country of what Independence Day is all about. I couldn't help thinking, however, that the ACLU was throwing private little fits over how many times the words "God bless America" were uttered.

God bless America, indeed. And may America bless God.

Hana

Photo courtesy of Steve Gibson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog