Thursday, November 12, 2009
A Nuk by any other name....
Generally speaking, you want to avoid synthetic latex ‘binkies.’ After all, do you really want your baby sucking on nitrosamines? The fact is, this is a carcinogen. Stay away.
The pacifiers that pass the BPA-free test are as follows:
• Natursutten Pacifiers – okay, these win my vote because they are the only all natural organic binkies on the market! Not only are they BPA-free, but they also boast:
o No artificial colors
o No parabens
o No PVC
o No phthalates
o No chemical softeners
These pure natural rubber pacifiers are molded in one piece, making them more hygienic than others as there are no joints or cracks to house bacteria. http://www.natursutten.dk/
• Born Free™ – this health-conscious company offers BPA-free bottles, sippy cups and orthodontic pacifiers. Always a good choice. http://www.newbornfree.com/
• Raz-Berry® Pacifier – what sets this 100% medical grade silicone pacifier apart is the unusual shape – it looks like a raspberry – bumpy surface and all! Particularly helpful during those difficult teething times. http://www.razbaby.com/
• Razbaby Keep-it-Clean® Pacifier – I love this! The innovative design ensures that a protective cover will close when the pacifier is dropped! Ingenious! Also made by Razbaby.
• NurturePure™ Pure™ Orthodontic Silicone Pacifier & Teether – made from natural food grade silicone, these pacifiers are free of any plastic parts. According to their website, these are the products Hollywood parents are sold on....if you care. http://www.nurturepure.com/
• Gerber® Silicone Nuk® – silicone means no polycarbonate plastics. Stay away from the non-silicone, older ones, however. http://www.gerber.com/
• First Years Soothie Silicone Pacifier -- another latex-free binky made of hospital grade silicone. The one-piece design is durable and hygienic. http://www.thefirstyears.com/ As an added bonus, these pacifiers can attach to a Wubbanub, an adorable stuffed animal that adds a whole new dimension to the benefits of pacifiers. http://www.wubbanub.com/
• Playtex® Baby Binky® Most Like Mother One-Piece Silicone Pacifier – another one-piece, medical grade silicone pacifier. It’s vanilla scent sets this one apart. http://www.playtexbaby.com/
• Avent – all of their pacifiers are now free of BPA. http://www.avent.com/
• Nuby™ -- all of their products are now free of bisphenol A, but this is a recent change, so if you’re holding on to older Nuby pacifiers, it might be time to replace them with their newer ones. http://www.nuby.com/
I am certain I am missing some, if not many, of the BPA-free binky choices out there. If you would like to add to my list, please post a comment. With such a wide choice of BPA-free options, there’s no excuse to let your child continue to suck on something toxic.
And, of course, I am neither advocating nor discouraging the use of pacifiers here. There are strong arguments on both sides. As always, I simply ask that you, as a parent, use your common sense. Research your options and choose what’s right for you and your child.
Keeping it healthy,
Drawing by Jessica Taylor