Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Reflecting on the tragedy in Orlando -- What would Jesus do?


Image courtesy of George Hodan


It's been hard to shake the feelings of horror that we all felt this past Sunday as we learned the news about Orlando. There are so many whys, countless what ifs. And, of course, so much sadness.

Our pastor started off the service on Sunday praying for everyone affected by this tragedy. There are parents and grandparents, uncles and aunts, cousins, friends, co-workers, neighbors. A multitude of people united by this senseless event. Personally, I didn't know any of the victims in Orlando. But I'm heartbroken nonetheless. I'm heartbroken for those who lost their lives and for those who experienced the horror and lived to tell about it. I can't imagine their nightmares, their monsters-under-the-bed. And I cannot for the life of me fathom the cruelty of those who judge.

Going back to the popular question of not too long ago: What would Jesus do? Judge? Oh no. He covered it all at the cross. And He calls us to be His hands and feet. He calls upon us to spread His Good News. But far too many are spreading hate instead and that, my friends, is perhaps an even greater tragedy. 

My understanding of the Savior paints a picture of compassion and love. What would Jesus do? I believe he'd be there in the midst, embracing and weeping with those around Him. That's the Jesus I know and love. That's the Jesus who gave up His life for you and me and every one of the victims who died at the hands of hate. 

I am brokenhearted. And Jesus is right here beside me, holding me as I weep. 

Hana

 I welcome your thoughts below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog