I also hate fracking. There are many reasons, but I thought I'd just share 5 of them today. These five facts are from Food and Water Watch.
- Water usage. As you know, many parts of the country are suffering from drought. Water shortages are a major problem in the US. So why are we allowing the hydraulic fracturing companies to continue to use millions of gallons of water per well, thereby depleting the earth of a valuable resource. Did you know that the fracking companies are even responsible for drying up streams in some parts of the country? It's inconceivable to me.
- Dangerous secrets. The chemicals used in fracking fluid are unknown to the majority of us. After all, they certainly wouldn't want to expose their "trade secret." Ridiculous! "Independent analysts have identified numerous cancer-causing chemicals that have been used in fracking fluid, and over a hundred that disrupt the endocrine system." ~ www.foodandwaterwatch.org
- Environmental law misuse. Big Oil & Gas is exempt from vital statutes in all the major environmental laws. Exempt! They don't have to play by the rules of the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Clean Water Act, or the Clean Air Act. And that, quite honestly, pisses me off.
- Flammable water. Yes, it is true. Despite the reports to the contrary, water affected by hydraulic fracturing is indeed flammable. Fracking shatters the rocks where the oil and gas is trapped, releasing hydrocarbon gases which can leak into aquifers and household water wells. Not only is it flammable, thus explosive, it's also making people really, really sick.
- The fracking race. The companies are in hot competition with each other. They're also racing to accomplish as much fracking as they can before the vast majority of the public comes to realize the danger involved. The companies are pushing to frack in every available nook and cranny -- including national parks and maybe even in your neighborhood!
What can you do? Make your voice heard! Attend town meetings. Write/call your representatives in Washington. Write/call the president. And share this post. Informed people are dangerous people! They're the very ones who can, and will, instigate change. Let's do it!
Post a Comment