Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thursday's Truths and Tidbits

Photo by Jiri Hodan


Truth: I like wine. 

Truth: I like beer, too. But not as much as my husband.

That is why today's tidbit has to do with wine and beer bottles and a wonderfully creative reuse idea.

I saw this on Earth911.com and ran all the way down to the basement to tell Bill about it. That's how excited I was about this project. All we need for it is a whole lot of wine and/or beer bottles. Too bad we didn't know about this sooner. Now we have to start collecting them from friends and family ... and maybe a bar or restaurant or two. 

We live in a state that does not take back bottles. When I was growing up, I loved scouring the neighborhood with my cousin, Kelly, looking for bottles to turn in for a deposit. We were saving up for a horse. We had a purpose! Now, few states motivate kids to similar tasks as we see bottles tossed along the roadside, in the woods, scattered along riverbanks, etc. It's sad.

I love when I find an alternative to simply tossing my bottles into the recycling bin. And this one beats all! A wine/beer bottle garden border! Have you ever heard of such a thing? Apparently, it's an old school idea that is being resurrected in our age of creative reuse. Yippee! And Bill and I are so going to do this!

Since I don't have the rights to the photos on Earth911.com, I encourage you to head over there to see the awesome picture. There are links to a step-by-step tutorial and to the following video, which you can just view here. This is from the Gardener's Notebook. If you want to know how to do it, here you go! 

Let me know if you decide to try this, and please, post a picture on the Green Grandma Facebook page. I'd love to see your handiwork!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog