Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The sticky truth about non-stick

It's been a cool, but sticky, cloudy/rainy day here in Western PA. I don't know about you, but these are the kind of days when I find it difficult to get motivated. Do you know what I mean? I'd rather curl up and read a book or watch a movie than much of anything else. Thus, the late hour for this posting. I ran errands this morning and didn't return home until about an hour ago. Then I checked my emails, scoured through Facebook posts and read some articles. However, I'm now ready to get down to work. It's after 3 and it's about time, don't you think?


Photo by Teodoro S Gruhl

Of course, I feel I should at least give you something of value, since you did take the time to stop in for a visit after all. So here it is. It's about that non-stick cookware in your kitchen. Are you still using it? Did you know it might be full of carcinogens? When you think about it, isn't it a bit silly to buy organic eggs only to fry them up in a Teflon™ coated pan? Yikes!

Not all non-stick cookware is bad for you. At least, not yet. I use my OrGreenic skillet and my GreenPans all the time and I love them! At this point, there is no word out that they are unsafe. But it's been proven that Teflon™ and the likes are very hazardous to your health! Look for words that begin with fluoro or perfluoro and stay away from cookware, bakeware and even other household items, like your stain-resistant fabrics and carpeting!

Teflon™ contains PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) with highly suspected links to liver, pancreatic, thyroid, breast and testicular cancers. Yummy. It is also linked to low birth weights in both humans and animals who have been exposed to it.

According to Washington Toxics Coalition exposure to PFOAs and PFCs (perfluorinated compounds) "also occurs from consumer products, house dust, and food packaging. 
  • Grease-resistant food packaging and paper products, such as microwave popcorn bags and pizza boxes, contain PFCs.
  • PFOA was used until 2002 in the manufacture of 3M's Scotchgard® treatment, used on carpet, furniture, and clothing.
  • PFOA is used to make DuPont's Teflon™ product, famous for its use in non-stick cookware. 
  • PFCs are in cleaning and personal-care products like shampoo, dental floss, and denture cleaners."
Ouch! 

Just wanted to make you aware of what to be on the lookout for. 

Do you have any more to add to the list?



See also:

The frightening reality of non-stick cookware

What to do with Teflon?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog