Wednesday, September 12, 2012

RIW -- A whitening alternative to bleach

Awhile back, ecoSTORE USA sent me two products to review. The first was a Honey and Almond shampoo which I loved. I loved it so much that I strayed from my no poo routine for the summer.

The second product was their Pure Oxygen Whitener, a safe alternative to bleach. It is made from mineral salts and plant-based ingredients derived from citrus and coconut. Sounds good already, right? The purpose of this enzyme-free product is to whiten whites and brighten colors without any harsh chemicals. After dissolving in water, it releases pure oxygen which goes to work eliminating stains without doing any damage to the color or strength of fabrics. Of course, the same cannot be said about chlorine bleach!

With ecoSTORE USA's Pure Oxygen Whitener, there are NO NASTY CHEMICALS! Just this bunch of eco-friendly ingredients: Carbonates (simple mineral salts), Sodium percarbonate (oxygen producing whitener), Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), Citrates (from citrus), Highly biodegradable surfactant, Natural citrus oil.

Of course, something can look good on the label, but be a total disappointment once it's put to use. So what are my thoughts on this product, and would I buy it?

For the most part, I really like the whitener. I experimented the first time I used it by washing one white bath towel and then hanging it up beside another white bath towel. The difference was noticeable. Since then, I've used it numerous times with my whites and some light colored laundry. The power dissolves easily in the washer. While my husband doesn't seem to see any difference in the laundry since using this product, I continue to see one. It's not dramatic, but it is enough to make me want to continue to use it. At only $7.95 for a 35 oz. container, I think it is a good deal.

When discussing it with my husband today, he did suggest that the product might be more effective if we actually followed the directions to allow the clothing to soak overnight, rather than running the load all the way through. I am sure he's right.

For me, the bottom line is how environmentally-friendly a product is, provided it works. I think the Pure Oxygen Whitener works well enough to give it my two green thumbs up. Indeed, it is not as effective as chlorine bleach, but using it is not going to fill your lungs with toxins! Pretty sure that makes it worth it. Don't you think?

Reviewing it for you,

Hana

4 comments:

  1. I have tried this product before and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have another endorsement. Thanks, Haley!

      Delete
  2. I use this product, as well as several others and absolutely love them.
    gourdsrmylife(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving the product another green thumbs up!

      Delete

Search This Blog