Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Review it Wednesday redux and update

With Christmas shopping underway, I thought it would be a good time to repost this information from November 2009 and add a review. While I encourage you to shop locally and wisely, and not fill the area under the tree with unnecessary stuff, there are still some practical gifts that many of us truly appreciate. In this case, I'm referring to something my daughter, Bethany, bought for me two Christmases ago, and I'm still loving. That's the key -- buying things that someone will truly appreciate. And in this case, they are something I use nearly every day.

What is it? My GreenPans. Did I mention that I still love them?

If you are looking for a practical gift that will make someone's home greener and safer (in the case of replacing Teflon coated pots and pans), this is it! And I've seen them cropping up in a variety of places like TJ Maxx and Marshall's -- and for cheaper than some of the online outlets. If you do decide to splurge on GreenPans for yourself or as a gift, you might want to Google them on Cyber Monday. There will probably be some awesome deals then.

Here's the original post I wrote about the GreenPans. After nearly two years, I'm still giving them two thumbs up!


While we might all love our non-stick cookware, the environment clearly does not. Neither do our pet birds. When heated, polytetrafluoroethylene, or PTFE, emits toxic fumes that can kill birds...reminiscent of the days when canaries were taken down into the mines to signal a problem with toxins. If the chemicals found in non-stick cookware, like Teflon™, can release fumes into our homes toxic enough to kill our birds, what are these fumes doing to our children? Are the toxins a danger to your baby as he sits in his high chair just a few feet away from the stove where you're cooking his dinner in your non-stick cookware? It makes me wonder.

In addition to PTFE, another dangerous chemical is used in the production of non-stick cookware. Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is emitted into the environment during the manufacturing process of Teflon™ and other non-stick surfaces. Early in 2006, some individual scientific advisors to the EPA voted unanimously to classify PFOA as ‘a likely human carcinogen.’ One of the goals of the EPA is to eliminate all PFOAs in products within the next six years.

Teflon™ starts to decompose at high temperatures and the gases emitted can result in hallucinations and flu-like symptoms. A study in 23 states found that 96% of children tested had traces of PFOA in their systems. I don’t know about you, but I find that statistic extremely disturbing … although not surprising. After all, who doesn’t use non-stick cookware?

So, what’s the answer? The obvious answer is to stick to stainless steel, cast iron, glass or silicone cookware (no pun intended). But, thanks to a Belgium company, there is another solution.

GreenPan features greener and cleaner cookware lines using hard anodized aluminum exteriors for efficient heat conduction and durability and a non-stick interior called Thermolon. Thermolon is known to be as easy to use as Teflon™ minus the safety issues – i.e. there are no PTFEs or PFOAs involved. I like how GreenPan™ sums up its products on its website: “When green becomes the standard and not an option.”

With no risk of toxic fumes, GreenPan™ cookware is heat resistant up to 850 degrees F, versus the standard non-stick cookware resistance of only 500 degrees F, and sports a sophisticated design. This alternative is not only more eco-friendly, but it also offers the convenience factor than accompanies all non-stick cookware.

The dangers associated with PTFE include:

  • Pizza pans
  • Portable heaters
  • Heat lamps
  • Stove top burners
  • Crock pots
  • Hot air popcorn poppers
  • Self-cleaning ovens
  • Bread makers
  • Ironing board covers
  • Computer printers
  • Some light bulbs
  • Household cleaners
  • And more….
Check with the manufacturers if you’re unsure whether or not a product is coated with materials containing PTFE. There is definitely a danger here…experts have just not yet determined how big of one. If it says, ‘no stick’ you probably should steer clear. Unless, of course, you’re opting for the Belgium line, which can be found on HSN or other websites. Make the switch…your family will be healthier for it.

Okay, now that you know the facts, let me tell you what I love about the GreenPan: It has superior non-stick properties ... and they are safe. If they weren't, I'd go back to regular cookware and forego the non-stick ones. It's simply not worth the risk.

The downside, for some, involves the care of the cookware. You have to be careful how you treat the GreenPan line of pots and pans. They will scratch and chip if you fail to take care of them. For instance, I use either cardboard or towels to separate them in my cupboard. I do not stack them without something dividing them.

I do not use metal utensils when cooking or serving. Metal can scratch the surface.

I do not use anything harsh to scrub them ... although, quite honestly, I've never had to scrub them.

Generally, I handwash them.

With the care I've given them, I have not had any problems with them whatsoever. These are amazing pots and pans, and I could not give them a higher recommendation.

That's two thumbs up for the GreenPan.

Keeping it green and healthy,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog