Thursday, August 6, 2015

TBT -- 376 Days -- A poem about breastfeeding

 
 
 
What should I do on a Throwback Thursday doing World Breastfeeding Week? Why post this lovely poem by Caitlin Lowry-Shegog, first published in 2013. Thank you for the power of your words, Caitlin. You can follow Caitlin on her blog, What Wondrous Love is This.
 
 








376 Days


by Caitlin Lowry-Shegog

Thursday.
A day full of heat and stick and the
heaviness of life.
And you came,
tiny baby,
mighty warrior,
breath of life.
I nursed you first.
Straight from my womb
to my heart,
and these were long days.
Days when the Earth moved slowly.
Days that stretched and strained,
like my body against your weight,
and nothing was easy,
and everything was hard,
and all things are beautiful
in their own time.
It takes time.
And I wish someone had told me.
Told me how much it would hurt,
told me about the cracking and the bleeding,
and the pools of milk and tears,
and clothes
soaked.
And how I could do it.
You can do it.
You.
can DO it.
Each step through the pain,
is one less painful step we have to take.
Like labor,
nursing is labor,
a labor of love.
And we need all sorts of love to mother,
to be awake all day and night,
and day again.
To bind ourselves to tiny bodies and minds,
and sacrifice the things we want,
And need
so that little people may grow
securely.
Securely in an insecure place.
And this is why I nurse you,
tiny baby,
little boy,
Mighty Warrior.
So you might be healthy
And strong
And well-equipped for
every good work.
So you will feel nurtured
and safe
and loved.
Loved.
All things are beautiful.
All things.
Beautiful.
And all things can be done,
through Him who strengthens us
and holds us
and carries us,
through the dark nights
and the scary places
and the milk soaked through.
And you can do it,
Mama.
Sister.
With His help.
You
Can
DO it.

©2013


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog