Friday, October 26, 2012

Vinegar Friday woe

TGIVF!

Okay, today's Vinegar Fridays started off well enough. I hopped in the shower for my usual no pooing routine, washing my hair with baking soda and rinsing with apple cider vinegar. Then I headed into the kitchen, where I took my morning dose of Bragg's ACV with a big glass of cold water. I ate breakfast, then ran the dishwasher with Norwex detergent, making sure there was still distilled white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Like I said, it started off well.

The problem arose when I put my laundry into the washing machine, threw in a pouch of Eco Nuts, and then reached for the DWV. It was gone! I headed upstairs to the bathroom. It was gone! Kitchen. It was gone! There was no distilled white vinegar in the house! The bottles were empty. A touch of panic set in. Well, not really, but it sounds like something The Vinegar Lady should say.

Have you ever had that happen? I'm not a member of Sam's Club or Costco, so I don't buy the large quantities of vinegar some of you do. I buy gallons when they're on sale at the grocery store. Apparently, there haven't been any sales lately, or I missed them. 

My laundry's on the line right now, having survived a cycle without vinegar. And I'll be sure to hit the grocery store in the next day or so. After all, what would happen if one of you stopped by and searched through my cupboards, only to discover I didn't have any DWV?! Scandalous!

What you would find, however, is a whole slew of other kinds of vinegar. Champagne vinegar, balsamic vinegar, pear-infused balsamic vinegar, raspberry vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, etc., etc. Great for consuming, but not recommended for the rinse cycle!

If you read Wednesday's or Thursday's posts, you'll get a glimpse of why I use vinegar instead of fabric softener, hair conditioner, Jet Dry, or medications for my acid reflux. It all comes down to prevention. I'm trying to protect myself and my family from the dangers of toxic chemicals. Will it work? Will it guarantee that I will never have cancer? Of course not. I've been exposed to toxins all of my life, and continue to be exposed. But I'm cutting down my chances, a bottle of vinegar at a time.

If you would like to learn more about the wonders of vinegar and the many uses for it, please buy a copy of my book, Vinegar Fridays, available online at Amazon.com and Lulu.com. Vinegar Fridays can also be purchased at Aaron's Books in Lititz, PA, The Book Place in Cranberry Twp., PA, The Shepherd's Door in Bellevue, PA and Happy Baby Company in Robinson Twp., PA. Also, I will be selling and signing books tomorrow from 1-6 at the Galleria in Mt. Lebanon, PA and at Barnes & Noble, South Hills Village in Upper St. Clair, PA, next Saturday.

For those of you in the path of Frankenstorm, my prayers are with you. And if you get hit and have to clean up from any flooding, remember that distilled white vinegar is just as effective as bleach as non-toxic. 

Keeping it green and safe with vinegar,

Hana


2 comments:

Search This Blog