Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Review it Wednesday -- Making baby food, the easy way




Several months ago, I received a Baby Brezza One Step Baby Food Maker to try. Since we don't currently have any babies in the family, I didn't have a pressing need to test it. However, my daughter, Jessica, is currently pregnant and I thought it would be a good product for her to have on hand once her baby is 6-months-old and starting on solids. Plus, Jess is the one in the family who likes to make smoothies, vegetable drinks and soups. So I gave it to her, and quite honestly, forgot about it. A follow-up email from the company reminded me that I needed to get on with reviewing this product and giving it either a green thumbs up or down. So, this week, Jess gave it a try. 

Like I said, there were no babies to feed, so she made a drink from the recipes booklet that came with the Baby Brezza. It is called Drink Your Greens and is for older babies through adults.

Jess started off by adding spinach, pear and melon into the machine. She then set the easy "steam and blend" button at 10 minutes. After it was done steaming, the machine beeped, then started into the blend cycle.








 After it was done steaming, the machine beeped, then started into the blend cycle. After 30 seconds, Jess added a cup of organic French Vanilla Yogurt, stirred it and served it. 


She enjoyed the drink, but her almost-four-year-old daughter, Laura, LOVED it! 

Here's what Jess thought about the Baby Brezza One Step Baby Food Maker:

It worked well and was easy to use.

The machine has "steam & blend," "steam," and  "blend" buttons. You can set the steam time to 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 minutes. The instructions are thorough and easy to understand. However, I didn't like how the instruction book stated that the plastic "bucket" thing had a 160mL line engraved so you know how much water to pour in the back of it, when it is actually engraved with 180mL. I know that's not that big a deal, but it's still a mistake nonetheless. The only other thing I didn't like about it was that when I set the time and pressed start a blue light started flashing. I wasn't sure if that meant something was wrong and it wasn't going to start or if that just meant it was starting. I tried finding it in the book somewhere and nothing was said about a flashing light. So I just let it go and it worked, so I suppose the flashing light was an indicator that the machine was operating.

After it was all done, I realized that as a soon-to-be mom of a new baby, I will definitely enjoy using this baby food maker. It was just so easy not having to get out the pots and pans for steaming and then having to process the food. This will make making baby food so much easier this time around, that I'm actually looking forward to it!  


You can also reheat and defrost in the Baby Brezza and clean up with easy with 4 dishwasher-safe parts.



I really wish this product had been available when my own children were babies, because I love everything about it. First of all, making your own baby food is less expensive than buying the prepackaged food. Studies have shown that you can save at least 50% by making your own. And, of course, with all the concerns over BPA and food additives, you can ensure your baby's eating healthier foods when you make it yourself, especially if you are particular about buying organic foods.

And, of course, the Baby Brezza One Step Baby Food Maker is an environmentally-friendly solution, as you eliminate the packaging that goes into all those serving sized baby food containers populating the grocery store shelves. 

This product warrants an easy green thumbs up from Green Grandma. I truly believe that if you are feeding, or planning to feed, pureed foods to your baby, the Baby Brezza is a must-have. And for those of you who like to make nutritious smoothies for yourself or your children, it doesn't get much easier or cost effective than the Baby Brezza, available on their website or other retail outlets for just $99.99.

While visiting the Baby Brezza website, make sure you check out their recipes!

Reviewing it for you,

Hana


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog