Monday, October 15, 2012

Blame it on the compost pile

Photo by Jiri Hodan
I called in sick today. Well, that's not exactly accurate, since I work from home. But I made the decision to take it easy today. I'm just not feeling at all well. I blame the compost pile. 

I have two diseases that both flare up when I'm exposed to the leaf mold spores in the autumn. Therefore, I cannot rake leaves, an activity I actually enjoy. But if I do it, I know I will be paying for it for the next several days to weeks. Quite honestly, excuse my language, but it sucks.

The weather was beautiful yesterday, so I spent some time outside. I even decided to turn the compost pile and add some freshly fallen leaves to it. Big mistake. Today I feel like a truck hit me. Head to toe pain and physical exhaustion. Fibromyalgia and Epstein Barr Virus Syndrome will do that to you. If you have one or both of these diseases, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Finding a comfortable position to sleep in is nearly impossible. When I lie on my left side, everything hurts on my left side. When I lie on my right side, everything hurts on my right side. Every contact point feels bruised. And working is difficult because even my fingertips hurt.

That's what it's like for those of us suffering from fibro or EBVS. And walking... forget it. Especially when stairs are involved. 

So that's my day today. And that's why I "called in" sick. 

I hope your day is much better than mine. And I hope to be bringing you relevant content in the next day or so -- content that will improve your life in one way or another.

Until then, I'm going to listen to my body and take it easy.

I'd love to hear about the last time you called in sick. Was it legit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog