Thursday, December 15, 2011

The paper towel challenge

I am not a fan of paper towels. Except when messes like this occur:


Yummy. What a way to start the day ... thanks to my cat Theo. At least it wasn't on the couch or braided rug.

So I opened the cupboard door and pulled out the rarely used paper towels, and was thankful I had them. Of course, they are the ones made of 100% recycled paper, but I still felt a slight tinge of guilt using so many -- this really was a mess!

There are people I know who use lots and lots of paper towels every day and never even give it a thought. Even before I decided to eliminate as many disposable products as possible from my home, I still didn't use an excessive amount. After all, they were expensive ... at the least the ones I bought -- you know, the fancy ones to match my Mary Engelbreit kitchen. Imagine how excited I was when I discovered the Engelbreit line of paper towels on the grocery store shelf one day! Pathetic.

How did I break my paper towel habit? Well, it started in the mind -- all I had to do was think of the sheer wastefulness and I was convinced pretty quickly that I had to find an alternative. And the alternative was easy! Rags. Old washclothes. Cut up stained handtowels. I stacked them under my sink for easy access and put a little lidded trashcan in the corner of the kitchen. When there's a mess, I wipe it up and throw the rag in the "hamper." Often, I rinse the rag and hang it over the top rack of the dishwasher. It's an out of the way, yet convenient, spot.

My challenge for you today, as a new year draws near, is to rethink your position on paper towels. Use less. Put them in a less convenient place, so family members don't just grab them for every little thing. Reserve them for messes like the one I woke up to.

It's an easy and earth-friendly thing to do. And with the rising cost of groceries, it's kind on your budget as well!

Keeping it green,

Hana

2 comments:

  1. I'm very happy to say that we use paper towels very rarely. My Norwex cloths are my go-to clean-up items now. I'd probably use them for the cat mess too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I use a lot less rags now that I have Norwex cloths as well. But I still use them to clean up the initial mess and then follow up with my Envirocloth!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog