Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A snot rag by any other name ... Review It Wednesday

Allergy season is in full force in Western Pennsylvania. I see endless piles of tissues casually tossed in the trash from the countless allergy sufferers across the area. What about you? Are you a tissue user or have you back pedaled to an earlier era where wastefulness was not the norm and colorful 'kerchiefs were carefully tucked in apron pockets or up sleeves of plump sweet grandmas? I am part of the latter group. I love my hankies and especially enjoy sorting through pretty embroidered ones at estate sales and resale shops. It is rare that I don't have a hanky close by to wipe at my runny nose or watery eyes ... particularly during these pollen-packed spring months. The problem is ... while I don't have to look for a trash can when I'm done blowing my nose, I do have the issue of shoving a snot-filled hanky back in my pocket or purse. Yuck.

Well, imagine my delight when I discovered an alternative to both the wastefulness of tissues and the yuckiness of hankies! HankyBooks are the answer. HankyBooks? Yes, HankyBooks -- evolution of the handkerchief!

A HankyBook is exactly what the name says it is -- a book of hankies. But these are not your typical hankies. The pages of the 'book' are made from 100% organic cotton, and let me tell you, I've never wiped my nose with a hanky as soft as this ... ever.


The folks at HankyBook.com sent me a sample so I could review this innovative new product. Happily, I can report that I love it! Really, I do.

Aside from the incredible softness (no more red nose!), the convenience is wonderful. Yeah, I said convenience. Usually, those of us involved in a green movement of any kind shy away from the word convenient. Not this time. I mean, how convenient is it to toss this cushy little book (about the size of a pocket pack of Kleenex) into your purse, bring it out when it is needed and then throw it back in after you're done wiping your nose? Need to use it again? Pull it out, open to a different page and blow your nose. Repeat the process numerous times and then simply toss the HankyBook in the wash with your regular laundry.

Before I wrote the review, I wanted to see how my HankyBook would hold up in the wash. Let me tell you -- it's possibly even softer than before! I washed it with my Eco Nuts and machine-dried it (we're having quite a rainy spell here in Western PA) with my wool dryer balls. It emerged from the dryer looking just like new.

How do you use a HankyBook?

When you need it, you just open the book, holding the cover with both hands and blow your nose into the center. Turn the page and blow again. Simple and sanitary. Once the book is closed, only the clean cover surface touches the other items in your purse or pocket. It's easy -- Pinch off, Blow, Fold & Tuck.

HankyBooks are reusable, washer and dryer safe, purse and pocket friendly, and made from super absorbent 100% organic cotton.

Why should we care about a product offering all these features, plus sustainability?

Well, ask yourself this question: How many disposables pass from your hands to the landfill everyday? Every year? In your lifetime? Did you know that, according to the Scottish EPA, one year's worth of tissues throughout the world require the cutting down of 6,000,000 trees? 6,000,000 trees!! Unfathomable.

The folks at Seventh Generation surmise that if every household in the United States replaced just one box of 85-sheet virgin-fiber facial tissue with 100% recycled tissue, 280,000 trees would be saved. The same goes for replacing that box with reusable products, like handkerchiefs or their 21st century upgrade -- HankyBooks. The HankyBook mission is "to steer people happily towards a non-disposable culture ... aka a culture that values resources, produces little waste and causes minimal environmental stress."



But HankyBooks aren't just for blowing noses! They're also great for cleaning up after messy toddlers or drooling infants! They even come in cute little baby designs and, if you have a particular theme, pattern or fabric in mind, can be custom-ordered to suit your tastes!




And here comes the fun part! The kind folks at HankyBook are giving away sets of 3 HankyBooks to 2 lucky members of the GG community!

Here's what I want you to do for this Review It Wednesday Giveaway:

Like HankyBook on Facebook and post a comment there letting them know that Green Grandma sent you.

Two winners will be selected via Random.org from the comments on their wall that mention GG. Simple enough?

Entries will be accepted until midnight EST on Memorial Day (5/30/11) and the winners will be announced on Tuesday on the blog and on the Green Grandma Facebook page.

Spread the word. Share this. Tweet this. Let's all work toward that non-disposable culture HankyBook is trying to promote.

And make sure you check out the HankyBook video posted below. Imaginative, informative and just plain fun!

Reviewing eco-friendly products for you,

Hana

2 comments:

  1. I can't see a video. Am I not looking in the right spot? (That's been known to happen a time or two.)

    Thanks for the review. I never knew about this, and as a hanky user, I think this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video is in the next post below this one. Click on the GG logo at the top and the whole blog will show up. Then just scroll down and you'll see it.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog