I love Earth Day! It's the one day that non-green minded people actually might do something that helps the environment in one way or another. Whether you're picking up litter, carrying reusable bags into the grocery store, or conserving water or electricity, you're doing your part for Earth Day. As I've often said -- every little bit helps.
Since Earth Day 2014, I've increased my awareness and consumption of organic foods. I know a lot of you are trying to raise families and it's much more difficult for you to afford organics simply because you have more mouths to feed. But eating organic doesn't have to cost a fortune. Seriously.
Walmart features the Wild Oats Marketplace line, which is full of organic yumminess!
So, what's the big deal with organics, anyway? And why is it something I'm focusing on for Earth Day?
There are many reasons to choose organic foods for your family, but here are some of my reasons:
- Avoiding synthetic pesticides. As someone with extreme chemical sensitivity, the last thing I want to do is ingest chemicals, right? Conventional farmers apply up to 12 or more synthetic pesticides to their crops each year. When I choose organic foods, I don't expose myself to all that chemical crap.
- Avoiding GMOs. Let's face it, we really don't know the long range effects of consuming genetically engineered foods, do we? I hate being a guinea pig.
- Avoiding hormones and antibiotics. As a menopausal woman, the last thing I want to expose myself to is unnecessary hormones. Period. Or lack of one...
- Preserving heirloom seeds. If certain companies have their way, the preservation of heirloom seeds will no longer be allowed. We have to fight for the farmers' rights to continue their organic lines of food varieties.
- Caring about farmers, their families, and their neighbors. I grew up in Lancaster County where the smell of manure permeated the warmer seasons. Back then, it was natural. Now, it makes me shudder to think about what the people in my old stomping grounds are exposed to on a daily basis. Organic farming creates healthier working environments for the workers and their rural communities.
- toxic synthetic pesiticides
- artificial fertilizers
- unnecessary hormones
For me, there's no contest. When I have the choice, I'm going to choose organic foods. Walmart and Wild Oats Marketplace make that choice much easier.
With Wild Oats, even cash strapped families can live healthier lifestyles and reduce their environmental footprint. With the wide variety of organic products at Walmart, you'll find their prices are comparable to conventional national brands. You can check out their prices here.
So here's my challenge to you for Earth Day 2015: head over to Walmart and pick up some organic products from Wild Oats Marketplace. Give them a try. And then celebrate your health and wellness as you celebrate the earth and all the wonderful gifts it bestows on us.
And make sure you check out Wild Oats on Facebook and Instagram!
And do me a favor -- Take a moment to post a comment. Let me know why eating organic is important to you.