Friday, April 3, 2015

A Good Vinegar Friday

Photo by Petr Kratochvil
 "Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, 'I am thirsty.'

A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. 

When he had received the drink, Jesus said, 'It is finished.' With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit."  -- John 19:28-30

Jesus sacrificed his life for all of us ... the greatest sacrifice of all. His blood spilled out onto the very ground he created as part of the blessed Trinity. Whether you accept his sacrifice or reject it, you have to recognize that the world was never the same. 

But why call it "good?" Christians recognize the day, not only as good, but also as holy and great. Why? Because without the sacrifice, there could not be redemption. I don't know about you, but for me, I understand my need for redemption. Is it because I'm a vile, awful person? No. Is it because I'm a sinner? Absolutely.

Therefore, despite the horror of it all, I call today Good Friday. In the darkness, in the turmoil, in the bloody violence of the scene, there is a peace that passes all understanding, all comprehension, all that makes sense. There is a peace that is good. A peace I wish for all of you.

A Good Vinegar Friday where vinegar represents the bitterness of sacrifice, and sacrifice represents the sweetness of life everlasting.

Have a blessed Easter weekend,
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog