Friday, August 8, 2014

IOTUT -- 5 Reasons to Ditch Tissues for Good


It's time for Friday's Instead of This, Use This and today we're talking hankies. Hankies? Yes, hankies.

A few from my collection
I made the switch from tissue to hankies a few years ago, and I'm never going back. I'm hoping you'll do the same. Here are the reasons why:
  • Hankies are eco-friendly. Let's face it, when you use tissues from companies like Kleenex and Puffs, you're using paper products from trees that are bleached with dioxin. Both water and energy use is high in the production process. (At least brands such as Seventh Generation, 365, Green Forest, Trader Joe's, and a few others, use 80% or more recycled paper content, which cuts down on the tree factor, but still requires water and energy to produce). According to NDRC.org, we could save 163,000 trees if every family skipped out on buying just one box of virgin fiber facial tissues each year. That's nothing to sneeze at!
  • Hankies are cool. You can pick up some really swell vintage hankies at resale shops. Then, every time you blow your nose or wipe tears from your eyes, those around you will see how eco-hip you are. 

  • Hankies are kind to your skin. Hankies get softer and softer with each wash. Ahhh. That's a welcome change from tissue when you're down with a cold. Unless, of course, your nose is used to a lotion-based tissue, but then don't you worry about what's in that lotion? Yikes.
  • Hankies are cost effective. I have a dozen or so hankies (all purchased at thrift stores), plus a couple of super soft HankyBooks. That's plenty to keep my nose happy. I actually have a couple drying on the line right now. And I don't have to buy boxes of tissue anymore, although I do keep a box here for company.

  • Hankies further demonstrate my commitment to living a life focused on leaving the world a better place for my grandchildren. Less in the landfill is less in the landfill. Period.
That's my advice for this week's IOTUT. I hope you'll take it to heart. 

Keeping it green by keeping it out of the landfill,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog