Friday, December 20, 2013

Vinegar Friday and a case of cracked, dry skin

TGIVF!

Image by George Hodan
I've mentioned it before, but I absolutely love to take hot baths... and to stay in them for hours at a time. Seriously. The problem is, however, that since my last birthday, my skin has started changing, along with the rest of me, it seems. Yeah. This year has not been kind to my body. First it was pneumonia in June followed by a severe, antibiotic-resistant kidney infection in September, coupled with some of the worst fibromyalgia pain I've ever had. Now, add to the mix, for the first time ever, dry skin. Really dry skin. Some mornings, my jawline feels like sandpaper. Yuck.

But I've found a solution, at least for the dry skin. And you already know part of what I'm going to say, right? Vinegar. Apple cider vinegar, to be precise. I've been using it as a toner after I wash my face, and it really helps to soften it. After toning, I slather on some organic coconut oil and presto!, my skin transforms into something touchable! 

Not only is my face softer, but so are my knees, heels, and elbows, provided I use the coconut oil after bathing. It's making quite a difference. 

When looking for ACV to use on your skin, you don't have to spring for the costlier raw vinegar. Just make sure you aren't duped into buying the fake stuff. The stores are selling carefully disguised ACV that is actually only apple cider vinegar flavored distilled white vinegar. 

Also, as I've mentioned here on the blog, as well as in my book, adding a cup or two of ACV to the bath water will also help to soften skin, as well as detoxify your body and aid in healing certain conditions, like gout.

So my advice? Skip the expensive, and often toxic, toners and moisturizers and make the switch to vinegar and oil... ACV and coconut, of course.

Winter's not looking quite so bad after all now, is it?

Keeping it green and soft with vinegar (and a generous amount of coconut oil),



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog