Friday, January 27, 2012

Vinegar Friday

TGIVF??

Are you happy it's Friday? I always have mixed feelings about it. I never seem to accomplish what I want to during the week, so the weekend is met with a certain level of disappointment. Anyone else feel that way?

Well, regardless of how I feel about it, it's here. Another Vinegar Friday. So, what shall we talk about today? How about our bodies? Or, more specifically, the following conditions:
  • urinary tract infection (UTI)
  • fungal infection
  • muscle strain
  • inflammation
  • joint pain
  • arthritis
  • tendonitis
  • bursitis
  • gout
  • eczema
  • sunburn
What do the above have to do with vinegar? Well, apple cider vinegar can actually help with all those conditions. But we're not talking taking it internally, although that would help as well. No, this time we're talking about soaking in it.

Now, let me tell you, I am a sucker for a hot bath. It is at the very top of my list for favorite things to do. And, as pointed out in my book, Green Grandma's Vinegar Fridays, it works well to soften my skin. But I just found out that soaking in a vinegar-infused warm bath can help cure gout. That's good news for folks like my husband, who suffers with an occasional bout of it.

Why does it help? Apparently, ACV baths are affective in a few different ways:
  • help restore normal pH balances in the skin
  • naturally detoxifies
  • draws excess uric acid out of the body
When it comes to UTIs, the ACV works by killing off any bacteria in the urethral opening. That's why it is effective with yeast infections as well.

There is a warning involved with all of this, however. Due to the detoxifying properties of ACV baths, some people do experience flu-like symptoms (feeling achy, etc.). This just means your body is responding the way it should to the treatment.

The "recipes" for ACV baths vary from 1/2 cup to 2 cups in a tub of warm water with a 20 minute to 45-minute soak. If you're concerned about the strong smell of vinegar, add some essential lavender oil and create a true aromatherapy session in your bathroom. Ahhhh.

As I'm writing this late at night (in the early hours of Vinegar Friday), all I can think about right now is climbing into a hot bath.

So with that said, I bid you a wonderful day/night and a truly grand weekend.

Keeping it green and healthy with vinegar,

Hana

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I had heard good stuff about vinegar baths before and wondered about the mix--didn't know if it was pure ACV or diluted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Had heard of vinegar baths before but wasn't sure of the mix--didn't know if was pure ACV or a dilution.

    A woman who used to work at a health store near me told me about a man who supposedly cured his emphysema with raw apple cider vineger baths. She said the bath water turned black. Do you think that story could be legit? I tried to search for it online but couldn't find anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very motivated to take a bath now! Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,

    I can't say yes or no to your question. I just know taking a bath in ACV helps and cannot hurt!!

    And you're welcome to both you and sunnymum! Love sharing the great stuff I discover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some time ago, I was struggling with a slow-healing rectal tear and a stubborn yeast infection. (I know, TMI, right?)

    What finally made the difference was taking one of these baths every day. I swear by apple cider vinegar.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having issues with a stubborn yeast infection, too. I'm hoping the vinegar baths do the trick. How long did it take? And how much ACV did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this! I'm trying this as I type for what I believe to be a bladder infection and seeing the other benefits maybe it will help with my aching knee too :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog