Friday, July 27, 2012

Vinegar Friday -- The question of potatoes

Potatoes -- yes or no for diabetics?

Perhaps you've noticed I haven't posted anything since Monday. It was just one of those weeks, full of trials, tribulations and busyness. Have you ever reached the point where you thought, If anyone asks one more thing of me, I'm going to lose it? Well, that's how I've been feeling lately. Overwhelmed, mostly by other people's problems. Very serious problems, I might add.

I also started a new venture as a Norwex consultant. I love Norwex products and believe in the company, which is why I want to introduce them to lots of people (and make money while doing so). But, as with any new business, there is so much to learn. I'm heading to my second party tonight.

Anyway, I didn't want to let a Vinegar Friday pass by without at least a short post. So here it is. I hope it's helpful, and I hope to be back on track again next week. Thanks for sticking around as I sort through some stuff.

As a diabetic, I had to learn about food choices, etc. Rather than adopt the American Diabetes Association's guidelines, I've opted for a more common sense approach (imagine that!) and I've paid a bit more attention to the glycemic index. In the book, Outsmart Diabetes by Prevention, there is a little vinegar tidbit I appreciated:

Glycemic index experts say that the acid in vinegar or lemon juice can substantially blunt the effect of a food on your blood sugar. That means that adding vinegar to your french fries and making potato salad with vinaigrette dressing are two smart, tasty ways to lower the GI of potatoes. Red wine, white wine, balsamic, cider, malt, and white vinegar all do the trick -- add 1 tablespoon of your favorite kind, and munch away!

Hooray for vinegar, once again!
Keeping it healthy with vinegar, 

Hana

Check out some more tips on Tiny Tips Tuesdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog